Describe the orchestral structure of Peripetie.
- Written for a large orchestra
- ^This allowed him to make lots of contrasts in texture, timbre and dynamics
- Massive woodwind section (quadruple woodwind - three flutes, a piccolo, three oboes, a cor anglais, three clarinets, bass clarinet, three bassoons and a contrabassoon)
- Large brass section (six horns, three trumpets, four trombones and a tuba)
- Percussion (timpani, cymbals and a xylophone)
- Fairly standard string section.
- Very tricky to play - lots of instruments play very high or very low. Big leaps in pitch, sometimes over an octave