CS 699 - Data Mining
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is a Nominal Attribute?
- Names, things. labels or names
- There is no ordering
- Math is meaningless on these
- However, can determine mode
- Sometimes called categorical
What is a binary attribute?
- Only has two values (i.e. male/female, 0/1)
- Symmetric - both values have equal weight.
- Assymetric - - one value is more important
What is an Ordinal Attribute?
- Is a meaningful ranking among variables
- i.e. clerk, manager, CEO etc...
- Although there is ordering, distance between ranks is not defined.
What is the difference between an Interval scaled and Ratio scaled.
- Interval scaled - do not have a zero
- Ratio scaled - has a true zero
What is a discrete variable?
- has a finite or countable amount of possiblilites
- ordinal variables are considered discrete
What is a continuous variable?
Has an infinite number of variables
What is the formula for variance?
- How spread out the data is
- n= number of values
- xi = each number
What is the formula for standard deviation?
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview