The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What percentage of students who begin college graduate within 6 years?
How long does it take for first time college students to decide if they are going to stay in college?
It is important for students who want to stay in college to learn these skills
- Engage in learning
- Time management
- Manage money
- Over coming fear
What percentage of employers perceived oral communication as a very important and important for promotional and for job success?
95% & 87% respectivly
Human communication is described as
- "negotiating symbolic meaning"
- is symbolic - humans use words (verbal)
- vocal utterances (oral)
- body movements (nonverbal) to represent a host of referents
When we communicate with one another, we seek to create shared understanding, common ground, and clarity
this is know as:
Three communication missconceptions
- Communication is Exact
- More communication is better communication
- communication solves all conflicts
Communication requires creative negotiation, not...
transmission or translation
Name 6 Communication Components
- Any interference that occurs as we communicate.
- External (physical)
- Internal (psychological)
Define linear communication
One-way communication where only one party is expressing the information because the other party is exclusively absorbing the information. The receiver responds through body language
What is transactional communication?
People act simultaneously as senders and receivers - or we may even interrupt or talk over one another
Define culture shock
disorientation or discomfort due to the unfamiliarity of surroundings and the lack of familiar cues in the environment.
7 characteristics of communication
- Communication is:
- Intentional & Unintentional
- Relational & Contextual
List 5 principles of ethical communication
- Honesty & truthfulness
- Significant Choice-has significant info to make good choices
Respect for one another
Communicating with each other, not to each other.
4 reasons to support dialogue as fundamental to effective communication
- makes moral judgments more reasonable by supplying evidence & argument to bear on our opinions
- brings equal rights in decisions that affect people
- a product of an open and uncoerced agreement - contact
- helps us accept people's right & understand