Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- The very first suburbs- usually close to the cities.
wrote On The Road = rebels against the sameness in the world
The Beat Movement
- People who didn't follow the establishment.
- - dressed sloppily; started at coffee houses
Liberal towards people but conservative when it comes to spending money
Highway Act of 1956
- = Creates the interstate highway system.
- - Purpose: to evaluate the city
- - idea after Cold war
- --> the major legislative achievement of Eisenhower's presidency
- Nominated for Chief Justice of Supreme Court and put on.
- - turns out to be more liberal than conservative
Brown vs Board Education of Topeka
- = Integrating School Systems
- - overturns courts position on segregation
- - John W Davis argues for segregation
- - Thurgood Marshall : Lawyer to argue against segregation
- = becomes first black on Supreme Court
Governor of Little Rock Arkansas who told president Eisenhower he wouldn't let 9 black children into Little Rock HS
- he closed down school at the end of the year and new governor William Jefferson Cliton reopens it
SCLC (Southern Christian Leadership Conference)
Uses peaceful confrontation lead by MLK
artificial satellite to orbit Earth launched by the Soviet Union
National Defense Education Act
- = Money from federal government to schools to go to math and physics so we catch up to Soviets
- -our action towards sputnik
-> We also created NASA
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview