3) decreases iron levels (temporary anemia), depriving pathogen's of food.
Decreases heat loss to environment.
A) detriment: can damage own cells.
Inflammation is a ___ barrier of the innate immune response. Symptoms:
head, redness, swelling, pain
What biological process causes inflammation
-movement of immune cells, fluids to site of infection.
-degranulation & collateral damage to tissues.
biological result of inflammation
-increased phagocytosis of pathogens
-increased degranulation of pathogens
-increased repair molecules at site of infection
phagocytosis and degranulations are similar innate immune response, because they are both
are both effective in destroying pathogens and produce ag.
1) phagocyte cell eats pathogen into phagosome.
2) uses degrading enzymes in lysosomes to destroy pathogen
3) then makes produce antigens (ag comes from pathogen).
2 famous WBC's that perform phagocytosis
macrophages and dendritic cells
famous WBC that participates ub degranulation
Neutrophils are granulocytes
in granulocytes that that contain degrading enzyme that are released from the granulocyte and destroy good and bad cells.
3 functions of MHC I Molecule to present Ag to adaptive immune response
1) found on all cells of the body (except non-nucleated cells like RBCs)
2) Identify own cells
3) present only Ag which arose inside the cell which MHC molecule is found (endogenous Ag).
enter into and replicate inside cells, like viruses.
MHC II molecules main function
1) found only on professional APC's (Ag presenting cells: dendritic & macrophages).
2) Present only on Ag which arose from outside of the cell which the MHC molecule is found (exogenous Ag).
Antigen produced outside the cell are a result of what 2 innate immune responses
phagocytosis & Degranulation
what types of cells are able to pick up and present Ag to MHC II?
APC (Antigen Ag presenting cells): *dendritic, *macrophages, neutrophils, B cells
which of the 2 immune system responses are the following from: Innate or adaptive?
general immune response to pathogens and
Result in distruction of pathogens by:
-phagocytosis and degranulation.
-If enough pathogens are destroyed, infection is cleared.
-Ag are produced during immune system response.