Ego defense mechanisms
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
What does compensation mean? an ex?
- Overachievment in one area to offset real or perceived deficiencies in another area
- ex. Nurse with low self esteem works double shifts so her supervisor will like her
What does conversion mean? an ex.?
- expression of an emotional conflict through the development of a physical symptom, usually sensorimotor in nature
- ex: teenager forbidden to see x rated movies is tempted to do so by friends and develops blindness, and the teenager is unconcerned about the loss of sight
What does suppression mean? ex?
- Conscious exclusion of unacceptable thoughts and feelings from conscious awareness?
- ex: a student decides not to think about parents illness in order to study for test
What does denial mean? ex
- Failure to acknowledge an unbearable condition; failure to admit the reality of a situation; or how one enables to enable the problem to continue
- ex: diabetic eating chocolate candy
What does undoing mean? an ex.?
- Exhibiting acceptable behavior to make up for or negate unacceptable behavior
- ex: a spouse who cheats on his wife brigs her a bouquet of roses
What does displacement mean? an ex.?
- Ventilation of intense feelings towards persons less threatening then the one who arose those feelings.
- ex: a person who is mad at the boss yells at his or her spouse or child
What does disassociation mean? an ex.?
- Dealing with emotional conflict by a temporary alteration in consciousness or identity
- ex: amnesia that prevents recall of yesterdays auto-accident
What does substitution mean? an ex.?
- Replacing the desired gratification with one that is more readily available
- ex: Woman who desires children opens her own daycare
What does fixation mean? an ex.?
- Immobilization of a portion of the personality resulting from unsuccessful completion of tasks in a development stage
- ex: lack of a clear sense of identity as an adult
What does repression mean? an ex.?
- excluding emotional painful or anxiety provoking thoughts and feelings from conscious awareness
- ex: the woman has no memory of the mugging she suffered yesterday
What does identification mean? an ex.?
- Modeling actions and opinions of influential others, while searching for identity, or aspiring to reach a personal, social, or occupational goal
- ex. nursing student becomes critical care nurse because this is the specialty of a professor she admires.
What does rationalization mean? an ex.?
- Excusing own behavior to avoid guilt, responsibility, conflict, anxiety or loss of self respect
- ex: Student blames failure on teacher being mean
What does sublimation mean? an ex.?
- Substituting a socially acceptable activity for an impulse that is unacceptable
- ex: person who has quit smoking sucks on hard candy when the urge to smoke arises
What does regression mean? an ex.?
- moving back to a previous development stage in order to feel safe or have needs met
- ex: five year old asks for bottle when new baby brother is being fed
What does projection mean? an ex.?
- Unconscious blaming of unacceptable inclinations or thoughts on an external object
- ex: Man who has thought about same-gender sexual relationship but never had one, beats man who is gay
What does introjection mean? an ex.?
- Accepting another person's attitudes, beliefs, and values as one's own
- ex: a person who dislikes guns becomes an avid hunter, just like best friend
What does resistance mean? ex?
- Overt or covert antagonism toward remembering or processing anxiety-producing information
- ex: nurse is too busy with tasks to spend time talking to dying patients
What does reaction-formation mean? an ex.?
- Acting the opposite of what one thinks or feels
- ex: person who despises the boss tells everyone what a great boss she is
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview