The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- results from testicular trauma (kick from mare)
- stud produces antibodies that affects sperm negatively
- antibodies can travel to other testicle and cause serious problems
What is daily sperm output?
- when all cells a stallion ejaculates equal the amount of cells he's producing every day
- not using sperm cells that are stored
What is the purpose of an in-line filter during collection?
removes gel fraction and accessory gland fluid out of collection
What is the purpose of longevity testing?
see how long semen sample will last
- sperm moves in a straight line forward
- large forward-moving circles are acceptable
When testing motility:
- raw and extended samples
- sample filtered only
- extended 1:1 and 1:4
a second collection should be taken...
one hour after the first collection, once you've reached DSO
the second collection should have:
- same volume
- 60% as many cells
- same motility
- a pH that rises slightly
What do you do if the pH of a sample rises too much?
- buffer with an extender
- sperm do better at a normal pH
When checking for longevity, what is the goal?
at least 10% motility at 6 hours for raw; more for cold-shipped
What does a pH higher than 7 indicate?
- problems with accessory gland fluid
extender for cool-shipped:
1:4 and put with cold pack
extender for on-farm:
When collecting samples for inspection:
- 1) tease
- 2) clean with water
- 3) wash w/surgical scrub (three times, top to bottom)
- 4) presperm (swab & isolate bacteria)
- 5) collect stallion (swab)