Hem Lec Ch2
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
When a coagulation of fresh whole blood is prevented through the use of anticoagulant, the straw - colored fluid that can be separated from the cellular elements is?
Which characteristic is inaccurate (not true)with respect to K2EDTA anticoagulant?
that it is used for most routine coagulation studies.
Tube with RED top contains which anticoagulant?
it doesn't contain any anticoagulent
Tube with Lavender top contains which anticoagulant?
Tube with Blue top contains which anticoagulant?
Tube with Green top contains which anticoagulant?
Heparin inhibits the clotting of fresh whole blood by neutralizing the effect of?
Name appropriate veins for performing a routine puncture .
- Median cubital.
The bevel of the needle should be held _______ in the performance of the venipuncture
A hematoma can form if?
- -not enough pressure is applied after the venipuncture
- -patient suddenly moves and needle comes out of the vein
- -the needle punctures both walls of the vein
Phlebotomy problems can include?
- - use of improper anticoagulants
- - misidentification of patients
- - improper angle of the needle or having a needle up against the side of vessel wall
which of the following skin puncture areas is (are) acceptable for the collection of capillary blood from an infant ?
Medial or Lateral plantar surface.
The proper collection of capillary blood includes?
- -whipping away the first drop of blood
- - occasionally wiping the site with a plain gauze pad to avoid the buildup of platelets.
- - avoiding the introduction of air bubbles into the column of blood in a capillary collection tube
A peripheral blood smear can be prepared from
- -free-flowing capillary blood
- -EDTA - anticoagulated blood within 1 hour of collection.
Characteristics of good peripheral blood smear are?
- Progresses from thick at the point of origin to thin
- it has blunt feathered termination
- The outer margins do not touch the end of the slide.
- A delay in preparing the smear once the drop of blood has been placed on the slide
- a drop of blood that is too large or too small
- holding the pusher slide at the wrong angle and poor drying conditions.
causes of poor blood smear.
if a blood smear is too long, the problem can be resolved by?
Increasing the angle of the pusher slide.
The examination of bone marrow is useful in?
- - diagnosing some disorders associated with erythrocytes and leukocytes
- - diagnosing acute leukemias
Appropriate bone marrow aspiration site in an adult is ?
- anterior and posterior iliac crest
- sternum and posterior iliac crest
What color does acidic stain imparts to blood cells?
Orange red color
What color does Basic stain imparts to blood cells?
Blue - purple
What color does neutrophilic stain imparts to blood cells?
Pink - Lilac
if a blood smear stains too red on microscopic examination of a Wright - trained preparation, possible cause is?
The buffer was too acidic and exposure time was too short
Romanowsky-type stains include.
Non Romanowsky-type stains are?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview