Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are the 2 Components of the Social Gospel Movement?
- 1. Evangelism- Social Responsibility
- 2. Revivalism- Personal Responsibility
Who were the Big Four & What did they do?
- 1. George Wheeler- surveyed central part of the Rocky Mountains
- 2. F. Halen- mapped the Northern (With W. Jackson)
- 3. C. King- responsible for mapping Santa Fe area(Southern Part)
- 4. J.W. Powell- (The biggest one)- 1st American to Navigate the Colorado River
What did J.D. Rockefeller do?
- 1. Built the Standard Oil Co.
- 2. "Competition is senseless, no competition is efficiency"
What is the Yellow-Dog Contract?
1. Contract so you couldn't join a union
What did O.O. Howard do?
- 1. Was a general that read bible versus("Christian General")
- 2. Republican
What did B. Singleton do?
- 1. Was known as the "Black Moses"
- 2. Lead Blacks from the South to Kansas
- 3. His followers were called Exoductors
What went on in the Grant Administration?
- 1. Corrupt politics
- 2. excessive materialism
- 3. salary grab
How did the Roman Catholics respond to the Social Gospel Movement?
1. By having J. McGivney created the Knights of Columbus
What did W. Haywood do?
1. Had an organization called the IWW- Industrial Workers of the World
What did J. Muir do?
- 1. Was a preservationist
- 2. Created the Sierra Club
- 3. Had a book called "Steep Trails"
Who was N.B Forrest?
1. Created the KKK
What did J.P Morgan do?
- 1. He was a bank teller
- 2. Bought banks that were failing
- 3. Had the USS(United States Steel) which was the 1st billion dollar company
- 4. Quote: "If you have to ask how much it costs, probably cant afford it"
How did the Radical try to control president Johnson?
- 1. Military Act
- 2. Tenure of Office Act
What were the Plutocrats & their positive/negative names?
- 1. They were very rich people
- 2. Positive name: Robber barance (spelling...)
- 3. negative name: Captains of Industry
What did A. Carnegie do?
- 1. He wrote "The Gospel of Wealth"
- 2. Liked to help people
- 3. Had to do with Bethlahem & Carnegie Steel
What is the Dawes Act?
- 1. Trying to get rid of the tribes
- 2. Indians were given land that they were to live on away from the tribe-rewarded U.S. citizenship
- *except to the: Pueblo, Zunie, and Hopie
What did J. Glidden do?
1. Invented the barbed wire
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview