Card Set Information
Having clear organization of your speech will allow
1. the audience to follow your speech
2. offset any fear
3. has a clear sense of direction
4. increases confidence
6 Principles for effective organization
p. 172 (CSPBPO)
Clear, complete ideas that are directly related to the purpose of your presentation
: To persuade my audience
: The death penalty should be abolished
Simplicity is one of the ways for effective organization by
Stating your ideas in straightforward language
Parallelism is one of the ways for effective organization by
!. Beginning each main idea with the same words
2. Brings clarity and simplicity
Balance is one of the ways for effective organization by
1. Making each main point roughly the same importance and length
2. You should devote most of your time to developing the ideas in the body of your speech
Practicality is one of the ways for effective organization by
Organization that helps audience understand your message
Order is one of the ways for effective organization by
A clear, consistent pattern from beginning to end
Outlining for effective speaking consists of
Types of outlines - Planning outline, Working outline, Presentation outline
A rough collection of ideas and supporting materials
1. Write your topic, purpose, and thesis clearly at top of page
2. Start thinking about main ideas
3. Use the research you have already completed and how it may fit with each of these ideas
The formal, typewritten outline that clearly identifies an introduction, body, and conclusion as well as the required portions in each section.
1. Provides structure and detail for what you will say
The outline that contains cue words or phrases that help you recall what you have planned and practiced when you actually deliver the speech; also call the
May hinder delivery by inhibiting eye contact or gestures.
2. Use cards solely as memory aids.
Identifying patterns of organization include
Chronical pattern of organization
Speech design that arranges ideas according to time
Spatial pattern of organization
Speech design that relies on a geographical or spatial relationship
Ex - top to bottom, east to west, front to back
Topical or Categorical pattern of organization
Speech design that deals with topics or categories that relate to a main theme
Problem-Solution pattern of organization
Speech design that describes or defines a problem and then offers potential solutions.
*danger - 1. Oversimplification and indicating only one cause, when there may be many
2. Also possible to infer cause and effect when no such link actually exists
3. could endanger you credibility without a clear link
Motivated Sequence patter of organization
p. 181 Table 9.1
Speech design that motivates people to act
Refutative Pattern of speech organization
Speech design that presents the arguments that oppose the speaker's proposition or claim and show how they are fallacious, inadequate, inconsistent, or deficient.
(comparable to debate)
State-the-case-Prove-it-Pattern of speech organization
Speech design in which the speaker sets forth a proposition or claim and then proves it systematically by offering evidence and reason to support the arguments.
1. Choose a pattern to organize ideas clearly & present them effectively to enhance your credibility, delivery, & audience response.
A speech must have 3 elements
What part of the speech should be developed first, second, then third?
Body, Introduction, Conclusion
The body of your speech consists of ...
The main points- want audience to remember
Supporting material that explain, illustrates, & bolster your ideas
AND Follow an organizational pattern
What is a Specific Purpose Statement
identifies strong main ideas around which to build your speech
I want my audience to ... give 3 main points
: Topic: Marijuana is illegal
Main Point I
: The marijuana illegal
Main Point II: