Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
is a Liberal Education?
- A liberal
- education is an education that exposes students to a wide breath of courses,
- perspectives, and educational experiences designed to equip them with the
- essential skills and learning necessary to thrive and succeed throughout their
What Should you learn in College?
- of Human Cultures and the Physical and Natural World (Courses in the sciences,
- mathematics, social sciences, humanities, histories, languages, and arts Intellectual
- and Practical Skills (Inquiry, critical and creative thinking, written and oral
- communication, quantitative literacy, information literacy, teamwork and
- problem solving
- and Social Responsibility
- and Applied Learning (Synthesis and advanced accomplishments across general and
- specialized studies)
What are employers looking for?
- communication, teamwork, professionalism, written communication, critical
- thinking, writing in English, reading comprehension, leadership, IT, diversity,
- math, science, government/economics
College vs. High School
- to organize time, read extensively and analytically, write a lot, judge
- sources, apply knowledge, question authorities and evaluate their claims
is a syllabus important and what does it tell you?
- It has
- everything you need to know about the class, and it’s a contract between you
- and the professor
- highest standards of academic and personal integrity, respect and accept
- individual differences, contribute to campus life
- Keep good
- notes, master citing sources,
the function of The Tomás Rivera Center
- assistance programs, and tutoring services
is Academic Inquiry?
- application of a rigorous and systematic method to seek answers to questions of
- facts, definitions, and values The rigorous and systematic method is what we
- call research.
7 Ways of Knowing
- Faith-Trust, Imagination-create something from nothing, Language-sounds put together
- to understand meaning, Memory-recall information from past experiences,
- Reason-logical facts to analyze and come to a conclusion, Sense Perception
• The Nature of Inquiry
- Examination, Exploration