Theology Commandments VI-X
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
- You shall not commit adultery
- You shall not covet thy neighbor's wife
- You shall not steal
- You shall not covet your neighbor's goods
You shall not bear false witness against thy neighbor
What is the difference
between false witness and perjury?
- Perjury is lying under
- oath. False witness is lying in court.
Explain the sacramental seal of Confession. How is it
different from professional secrets?
- The secret of the sacrament of reconciliation is sacred, and cannot be
- violated under any pretext. “It is a crime for a confessor in any way to betray
- a penitent by word or in any other manner;” however, professional secrets, such
- as those of politicians, must be kept, except in special cases where keeping
- the secret is bound to cause harm to the one who confided it or to a third
- party(the only way in avoiding the harm is to divulge the truth).
When should one reveal a secret? When should one exercise discretion?
- One should not reveal a
- secret except in special cases where keeping the secret is bound to cause harm
- to the one who confided it or to a third party(the only way in avoiding the
- harm is to divulge the truth). One should exercise discretion when the good and
- safety of others, respect for privacy, and the common good are not at risk.
How do you see rash
judgment in relation to the principle of innocent until proven guilty?
- Unlike rash judgment which
- assumes as true, without sufficient foundation, the moral fault of the
- neighbor, innocent until proven guilty does not assume fault in the
- commitment of a crime, rather the person’s fault will have to be proved with
- substantial evidence in order to be true.
Why can martyrdom
be considered as the culmination of the Eighth Commandment?
- Martyrdom is the supreme witness given to the truth of the
- faith, it means bearing witness even unto death. The martyr bears witness to
- Christ who died and rose, whom he is untied by charity, and he bears witness to
- the truth of the faith and of Christian doctrine. By following in the life of
- Jesus, the martyr lives in the “Spirit of the Truth” in which he dies in the
- same fashion as Jesus, who manifested the whole of God’s truth.
According to the
Catechism, what is a lie and why is the devil considered the father
- “A lie consists in
- speaking a falsehood with the intention of deceiving”. When the devil lies, he
- speaks according to his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies.
How does the use of the internet
and social media relate to the Eighth Commandment?
- Because society has a right to information based on truth, freedom,
- justice, and solidarity, the `proper use of social media must exercise the
- right demands that the content of the communication be true and within the
- limits set by justice and charity-completely. Users should practice moderation
- and discipline in their approach to mass media, which is intended for civil
How does the family
mirror the Trinity?
- The family, the common
- union between two or more persons who give themselves to one another in love,
- mirrors the love between God, Jesus, and the visible manifestation of their
- love, the Holy Spirit.
the unitive and procreative aspects of sexual intercourse.
- Procreative is the part of
- marriage that presents an openness to life, while unitive is the part of
- marriage that involves the sharing of love between spouses.
How is the use of Natural
Family Planning in regulating births harmonious with the Church’s teaching
with regard to the dual aspects of sexual intercourse?
- Natural Family Planning, a
- natural way of regulating birth, is harmonious with the Church’s teachings with
- regard to the dual aspects of sexual intercourse because it not only is
- open to the possibility of life(procreative) but also is the sharing of
How is adultery
similar to idolatry in marriage?
Adultery, sexual relations with someone other than one’s spouse or an unmarried person with a married person, is similar to idolatry in marriage because it is like praising another God in place of the one true God.
How are chastity
and modesty similar yet different?
- Both chastity and modesty
- help man and woman control their sexual desires. Chastity helps YOU control
- your sexual desires while modesty helps OTHERS control their sexual desires by
- YOUR refusing to unveil what should remain hidden(your pee pee).
Why is masturbation
- Masturbation is the
- deliberate stimulation of the genitals to obtain solitary sexual pleasure;
- however, God intended sex to be exclusively between a man and a woman, not a
- man and a hand. This can’t be in the notes it is bro
What does the Church say
about being a homosexual? What does it say about homosexual
sexual activity? Why?
- Those with homosexual
- orientation are not morally guilty for who they are. Prejudice against someone
- who has a homosexual orientation is wrong. We must accept persons of homosexual
- orientation as our brothers and sisters. Although it is not wrong to be of a
- homosexual orientation, homosexual activity lacks unity between a husband and a
- wife and openness to the transmission of human life, therefore it is wrong.
Identify which of the
following is permissible and which is not. Be prepared to explain your
Sperm or Ovum Donation
Surrogate Motherhood In Vitro Fertilization
Artificial birth control Natural Family Planning
Adoption Artificial insemination
What is the difference
between justice and charity?
- Justice is what is rightly
- due to an individual, while charity is going beyond what is rightly due to an
Explain the statement, “Work
is for man, not man for work.”
- God created the world for
- man, not for work. Man should be able to draw from work the means of providing
- for his life and that of his family, and of serving the human community. Man is
- the author and beneficiary of work as man, in his work, exercises and fulfills
- in part the potential inscribed in his nature.
How is the universal
destination of goods violated in our culture or country?
- The universal destination
- of goods, god’s intention for all created things to be shared equally by
- mankind under the guidance of justice and tempered by charity, is violated in
- our culture because of the gap between the rich(1%) and the poor(99%).
Illustrate and properly
label the diagram of the three most common types of justice.
Why is work poorly
done and keeping goods lent to us violations of the Seventh
- They are violations of the
- Seventh Commandment because the seventh commandment forbids you from unjustly
- taking or keeping the goods of your neighbor and wronging him in any way, which
- would include working poorly for the sake of the common good and keeping goods
- he/she lent to you.
the virtue which consists in showing oneself true in deeds and truthful in words, and in guarding against duplicity, dissimulation, and hypocrisy
the truth entails ____ and _____
an act of justice that establishes the truth or makes it known
who, by remarks contrary to the truth, harms the reputation of others and gives occasion for false judgements
the ______ is measured against the nature of the truth it defroms
gravity of a lie
genuine sacred ____ draws man to adoration, to prayer, and to the love of God.
marital faithfulness between husbands and wives that requires reserving all sexual activity and affection for each other and also asks couples to be loyal to each other through good times and bad
Any procedure that separates sexual love making from the act of procreation is ____
Two puropses of sex in marriage
- the sharing of love between the spouses
- transmission of life
dissolution of the marriage construct
having more than one spouse
extended relationships where couples refuse to have their commitment formalized or sanctified by law
allowing our sexual thoughts and desires to control us
sexual intercourse engaged in by an unmarried male and female
three types of concupiscence
- lust of the flesh
- lust of the eyes
- pride of life
FOur victories in the struggle against sin
- purity of intention
- purity of vision
purity requires ____
The seventh commandment requires respect for
- the universal destination of goods
- the right to private property
The ___ __ ____ are charitable acts by ehich we come to the aid of our neighbor in his spiritual and bodily necessitites
works of mercy
the tenth commandment forbids ___ and ___
The desire to see God is the ____ ____ of man
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview