The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Refusal to give information to or cooperate with officer
unlawful to refuse when requested by a police officer to give his or her name and address and that of owner and required docs, or to give false info, and unlawful for any such person to refuse to stop. Must permit officer to examine any equipment of such vehicle or the weighing of such vehicle or to refuse or neglect to produce the certificate of license registration of such vehicle, insurance card, or his or her vehicle driver's license when requested by any court.
Obedience to police officers, flaggers, or firefighters
No person shall refuse to comply with any order or direction of any duly authorized flagger or any police officer or firefighter invested by law with authority to direct, control, or regulate traffic.
Failure to obey officer — Penalty.
Any person who wilfully fails to stop when requested or signaled to do so by a person reasonably identifiable as a law enforcement officer or to comply with RCW 46.61.021(3), is guilty of a misdemeanor.
Attempting to elude police vehicle — Defense — License revocation.
refusing to stop and recklessly attempting to elude a pursuing police vehicle, after being given a visual or audible signal to bring the vehicle to a stop, is a class C felony.
The signal given by the police officer may be by hand, voice, emergency light, or siren.
The officer giving such a signal shall be in uniform and the vehicle shall be equipped with lights and sirens.
It is an affirmative defense to this section which must be established by a preponderance of the evidence that:
A reasonable person would not believe that the signal to stop was given by a police officer; and
driving after the signal to stop was reasonable under the circumstances.
The license or permit to drive or any nonresident driving privilege of a person convicted of a violation of this section shall be revoked by the department of licensing.
Obedience to and required traffic control devices
1) The driver of any vehicle, every bicyclist, and every pedestrian shall obey the instructions of any official traffic control device applicable thereto placed in accordance with the provisions of this chapter, unless otherwise directed by a traffic or police officer, subject to the exception granted the driver of an authorized emergency vehicle in this chapter.
(2) No provision of this chapter for which official traffic control devices are required shall be enforced against an alleged violator if at the time and place of the alleged violation an official device is not in proper position and sufficiently legible or visible to be seen by an ordinarily observant person. Whenever a particular section does not state that official traffic control devices are required, such section shall be effective even though no devices are erected or in place.
(3) Whenever official traffic control devices are placed in position approximately conforming to the requirements of this chapter, such devices shall be presumed to have been so placed by the official act or direction of lawful authority, unless the contrary shall be established by competent evidence.
(4) Any official traffic control device placed pursuant to the provisions of this chapter and purporting to conform to the lawful requirements pertaining to such devices shall be presumed to comply with the requirements of this chapter, unless the contrary shall be established by competent evidence.
- Whenever an illuminated flashing red or yellow signal is used in a traffic sign or signal it shall require obedience by vehicular traffic as follows:
- (a) FLASHING RED (STOP SIGNAL). When a red lens is illuminated with rapid intermittent flashes, drivers of vehicles shall stop at a clearly marked stop line, but if none, before entering a marked crosswalk on the near side of the intersection, or, if none, then at the point nearest the intersecting roadway where the driver has a view of approaching traffic on the intersecting roadway before entering the intersection, and the right to proceed shall be subject to the rules applicable after making a stop at a stop sign.
- (b) FLASHING YELLOW (CAUTION SIGNAL). When a yellow lens is illuminated with rapid intermittent flashes, drivers of vehicles may proceed through the intersection or past such signal only with caution.