Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Name the hierarchy of geologic time
Describe the etymology of the 2 eons
- Phanerozoic - Visible Life
- Precambrian (supereon) - Before the Cambrian period (Proterozoic, Archean, Hadean eons)
Describe the etymology of the 3 eras in the Phanerozoic eon
- Cenozoic - New Life
- Mesozoic - Middle Life
- Paleozoic - Old Life
Describe the etymology of the 3 periods in the Cenozoic era
- Quaternary - younger than Tertiary
- Neogene - Recent Born (aka upper Tertiary)
- Paleogene - Old Born(aka lower Tertiary)
Describe the etymology of the 2 epochs in the Quaternary period
- Holocene - Wholly New
- Pleistocene - Most New
Describe the etymology of the 2 epochs in the Neogene period
- Pliocene - More New (90% fossils still alive)
- Miocene - Less New (18% fossils still alive)
Describe the etymology of the 3 epochs in the Paleogene period
- Oligocene - Few New
- Eocene - Ealiest New (9.5% fossils still alive)
- Paleocene - Old New
Describe the etymology of the 3 periods in the Mesozoic era
- Cretaceous - chalky
- Jurassic - Jura mountains
- Triassic - three
Describe the etymology of the 6 periods in the Paleozoic era
- Permian - Perm region in Russia
- Carboniferous - Coal Bearing
- Devonian - Devon region in England
- Silurian - Silures tribe in Wales
- Ordovician - Ordovices tribe in Wales
- Cambrian - Wales
How long were the eons?
- Phanerozoic - 542 mya-present (542 my, 12% of earth's age)
- Precambrian - 4600-542 mya (4057 my, 88% of earth's age)
How long were the 3 Phanerozoic eons?
- Cenozoic - 66 mya-present (66 my)
- Mesozoic - 252-66 mya (186 my)
- Paleozoic - 541-252 mya (289 my)
How long were the 3 periods in the Cenozoic era?
- Quaternary - 2.58 mya-present (2.58 my)
- Neogene - 23-2.58 mya (20.42 my)
- Paleogene - 66-23 mya (43 my)
How long were the 3 periods in the Mesozoic era?
- Cretaceous - 145-66 mya (79 my)
- Jurassic - 201.3-145 mya (56.3 my)
- Triassic - 252-201.3 mya (50.7 my)
How long were the 6 periods in the Paleozoic era?
- Permian - 298.9-252 mya (46.9 my)
- Carboniferous - 358.9-298.9 mya (60 my)
- Devonian - 419.2-358.9 mya (60.3 my)
- Silurian - 443.8-419.2 mya (24.6 my)
- Ordovician - 485.4-443.8 mya (41.6 my)
- Cambrian - 541-485.4 mya (55.6 my)
How long (millions of years) were the 11 ages of the Jurassic Period?
- Upper Epoch: 163.5-145 mya - Tithonian (7.1), Kimmeridgian (5.2), Oxfordian (6.2)
- Middle Epoch: 174.1-163.5 mya - Callovian (2.6), Bathonian (2.2), Bajocian (2), Aalenian (3.8)
- Lower Epoch: 201.3-174.1 mya - Toarcian (8.6), Pliensbachian (8.1), Sinemurian (8.5), Hettangian (2)
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview