Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Why do you want to be a firefighter?
When did you decide on this career?
- Whenever I’m asked that question, I answer it with a question. “Who doesn’t want to be a firefighter?” (Drive a big fire truck, spray water on everything, having the responsibility to be the hero; knowing that people are calling you for help when they feel they most need somebody) To be part of a team oriented organization, that’s greater than 1 person.
- It is a privilege to have a career where you want to go to work each and everyday
- To constantly train because at anytime your life, your crew’s life, or any of the public’s life could be at stake; where your actions could determine the outcome I can’t think of many careers that carry that type of commitment that will give you that ultimate feeling of self worth
- When did I decide on this career (refer to 911)
What is the job of a firefighter?
Are you qualified?
- Life safety, Incident stabilization, and property conservation (book answer)
- Serve the public the safest and best way you can anytime, anyplace, under any circumstance
- YES I’M QUALIFIED; because I have proven what I can do under the harshest of circumstances I have proven myself in the 19 years of Military service
- I have proven my work ethic in EMT, Fire I & II, voluntary time, and as a full time fire fighter I know the benefits of being a leader and a follower I can realize when I’m on the greener side
What have you done to prepare for this position?
- CPR, HAZMAT, EMT, Fire I & II, Paramedic courses Learn the Fire service: Ride alongs, volunteer at events, Stayed involved with local depts. activities and personnel Maintained optimal physical fitness Maintained all certifications Joined Glendale Crisis Response Team (give reason)
- #1 thing I done is started reading the “Don’t sweat the small stuff” book series. Recommended read
What are you bringing to the job?
- Experience of fire fighting
- The experience of being at the bottom (new comer) and working my way to the top (senior management)
- Positive attitude of representing for the old dudes (physical fitness, experience under pressure, life skills)
- 19+ years of difference experiences from different major organizations (Fire dept. Army, Corrections, Post office)
- True meaning of Teamwork / Chemistry
- The importance of being able to follow then lead
Why do you want to work for Peoria Fire Dept
- I want to work for a full spectrum department located in the west valley (my community), that is a value based organization. I believe in the motto: “Serving with strength, Honor, and Compassion”
- The money is good, but the department is a community based organization with many assets to serve the community
What do you know about this city or agency?
- The mission statement: “Serving with strength, Honor, and Compassion” We are committed to protecting and caring for our neighbors, our guests and each other while maintaining the communities trust and respect through superior life safety services.
- If you know where you’ve come from you know where your going. With tradition brings pride
- 8 Fire Stations, 8 Paramedic Engines, 2 BLS Ladder Trucks, 2 Battalion Chiefs, 1 Fireboat, 2 TRT Teams, 1 Hazmat Team
- Population 160,000
What do you like to do? What are your hobbies?
- Watch football (to old to play)
- Physical fitness training (stress reliever)
- Playing with my kids
What are your strengths?
- Weaknesses Not accepting failure; Have a tenancy to over prepare (tunnel vision on specific task)
- I’m getting old Junk food junky (if I didn’t work out like I do, I’d be big as a house)
- Strengths Physical Fitness; I’m here to represent for the old dudes
- Life experience
- True meaning of team work/chemistry
- Taking responsibility for all my action
What would your employer say about you?
Passionate about training and upholding the standard
What are the attributes of a firefighter? What is the most important one to you?
- Holding true to values and ethics
- Knowing your privleged to have people call on you in their most needed time
How will I be successful during the academy
- This (oral board) is personal; I take that you would select me to be a part of your team.
- Physically and mentally tough; able to go the distance, and motivate others to do the same
- Also emphasize teamwork, team chemistry, and family
- Ensure that I’m enjoying the time there and having fun
- Brotherhood created by the experience
What does character mean to you?
- Character is what makes me.
- What's inside my heart,
- My values, ethics, & morals,
- Doing the right thing when no one is looking
- Doing the right thing thing with no expectation of being recognized for doing your job
- How I view the world.
Peoria FD Values
- Respect each member as a professional
- Be intolerant of negative behavior
- Take responsibility for our own action or inaction
- Recognize honest and sincere efforts
- Utilize consensus, when possible, for decision-making
- Support employee and employer decisions
- Demonstrate the highest level of pride and professionalism
- When asked why I want to be a FF
- Here is my selfish reason:
- When you do acts of kindness out of your heart without any expectations of getting something in return; you get more out of it for yourself and for your soul than whoever is receiving whatever it is your giving (proven fact).
- 42 years old (not a spring chicken, reppin for the old dudes)
- Married for 15 years; been w/ wife for 21
- 14 yr. old daughter (you know what i'm going thru)
- 5 yr. old boy (full grown monster)
- From Ca. moved here in 90' so this is home; I even claim the Cardinals
- Job experience
- GRFD 3.5 years
- Crisis Response
- 19+ years Military
- E-9 SGM 850th MP BN OPS SGM
- Deployed twice Iraq
- NASM personal trainer
- 15 years Post Office
- 2 years Corrections
- Real estate