The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
The point directly over your head is called
Our solar system consists of ________.
the Sun and all the objects that orbit it
What is a circumpolar star?
- a star that always remains above
- your horizon
What conditions are required for a solar eclipse?
- The phase of the Moon must be new, and the nodes of the Moon's orbit must be nearly
- aligned with Earth and the Sun.
If you are located in the Northern Hemisphere,
which of the following correctly describes a relationship between the sky and
The altitude of the north celestial pole equals your latitude.
About how many stars are visible to the naked
eye on a clear, dark night away from city lights?
A couple thousand
Galileo saw four large Moons orbiting Jupiter,
thus providing evidence that supported the Earth Centered system.
Each choice below describes how a few
astronomical phenomena are related to time periods. Which list is entirely
correct? (Careful: Some lists are partially correct.)
- rotation defines a day.
- -The cycle of the Moon's phases takes about a month.
- -Earth's orbit defines a year.
- -Earth's cycle of axis precession takes 26,000 years
Which of the following is the reason for the
solar day being longer than a sidereal day?
- the combined effect of the
- rotation of Earth and its orbit about the Sun
A scientific model must make
an observational prediction.