Forebrain pt. 3
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is the central canal?
a fluid-filled channel in the center of the spinal cord
What are ventricles?
Four fluid-filled cavities within the brain containing cerebrospinal fluid
What is cerebrospinal fluid (CSF)?
a clear fluid found in the brain and spinal cord
What is the purpose of the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF)?
- Provides "cushioning" for the brain
- Reservoir of hormones and nutrition for the brain and spinal cord
What are meninges?
- Membranes that surround the brain and spinal cord
- Brain has no pain receptors but meninges do
What are the three layers of meninges?
- Dura Mater
- Arachnoid mater
- Pia Mater
What is the cerebral cortex?
- Most prominent part of the mamalian brain
- Consists of the cellular layers on the outer surface of the cerebral hemispheres
- Divided into two halves
- More highly developed in humans than other species
What are the two halves of the cerebral cortex joined by?
Two bundles of axons called the corpus callosum and the anterior commissure
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview