Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
dates and reason why
1832 - 1901 - reign of Victoria
social class, expectations, rise of the novel
Darwin Origin of the Species dates
The Great Exhibition
- like the World's fair in New York
- 1851 was the first one
- in the Crystal Palace
- used to show artifacts from colonies
What is the purpose of the novel?
- capture the new world
- Domestic Realism!!
"narrating my experience on life"
- George Elliot
- novels are like a testimony
- writing and publishing in increments
- allows authors to get feedback
"use dregs of life should serve the purpose of morals"
What work made Dickens an author?
the Pickwick Papers
John Stuart Mill wrote...
Thoughts on Poetry and Its Variety
novels are about events, poetry is emotion into thought
John Stuart Mill
Poetry is for people who feel
John Stuart Mill
Poetry vs Eloquence
- John Stuart Mill
- eloquence = rhetoric
- poetry is not written to an audience
Poetry vs. Description
- John Stuart Mills
- description is pure imitation
- ex. historical paintings
John Stuart Mill's ideas on the poet
- inherent ability, cant turn it on or off
- wordsworth - low poetry for people not smart enough
- shelley - true poet, inexhaustible and spontaneous, use of imagery
The Cry of the Children - author and dates
- Elizabeth Barret Browning, 1844
- written in response to an article on child factories
A Song for the Ragged Schools of London - dates and author
- 1854 Elizabeth Barret Browning
- ragged schools - poor and middle class kids
- sold this poem in pamphlets to raise money
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview