Ch. 4 Physical Growth and Health related behaviors in adolescents class notes
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
When is the ovulatory phase?
14 days before next period
What are growth trends dependent on?
- society and culture
- access to good medical care and food can impair growth (access to food can effect sexual maturation)
How are Boys and Girls affected by early maturation?
- boys: athletic/social advantages
- girls: negative experience
How are Boys and Girls affected by late maturation?
- boys: socially induced inferiority
- girls: social disadvantage but do not experience criticism from parents/adults
How do health decisions affect adolescents?
- knowledge of health consequences
- ability to judge risks
- parents behavior (act by example)
- available resources
- peer pressure (not making good decisions)
- societal values
What are some examples of secondary sex characteristics?
- presence of body hair (pubic for men and women, chest and facial for men only)
- enlarged voice box
- increased muscle mass
- formation of breasts on women
- growth spurt
- enlargement of penis (for men) or vagina (for women)
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview