The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
-Do not perform photosynthesis. Are heterotrophs. Use enzymes to break down organic molecules. Then digests them later.
-Fungi consist of mycelia(strands), networks of branched hyphaeadapted for absorption.
-Most fungi have cell walls made of chitin
- -are mutually beneficial relationships between fungi and plant roots.
- -Ectomycorrhizal fungi has its hyphae over roots and in between cells.
- -Arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi extends hyphae into plant cells.
Fungi Sexual reproduction
- Used to adapt to environments
- Plasmogamy (fusion of cytoplast)
- Heterokaryotic stage
- Karyogamy (fusion of nuclei)
Fungi asexual reproduction
- Molds are visible mycelia
- Some fungi like yeast undergo budding
Spores are released by mycelium which then germinate when suitable ground is found.
A clade of fungi, animals, and some protists.
-Produce zoospores. That are very resistant to conditions. Bread mold.
A club like structure called a basidium. Also called club fungi. Mushroom.
- Fungi that live near or in water. Has sexual spores in a sac like asci that produces ascocarps.
Ecological functions of fungi
Decomposers and recyclers. Mutualistic relationships with plants (endophytes) such as protecting them from insects / toxins or breaking down objects. Termites have them for digestion.
A symbiotic association between a photosynthetic organism and a fungus (usually Ascomycete). Algae provides carbon while cyanobacteria provides nitrogen fungi provide environmental growth.
A fungal pathogen.
A genus of ascomycetes that inhibits bacterial wall synthesis.