Chemistry Chapter 6
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
being like noble gas
Lewis structure for covalent bonds (not ionic)
nonpolar and polar
- equal or most equal sharing of electrons
- X - Y
- unequal sharing of electrons with slight separation of charge
ability of an atom to attract shared electrons in a bond
- Trend L to R ↑
- Bottom to Top ↑
Polar bonds have...
- shift in electron density
H -- Cl
arrow where more electronegative
Which atom is usually the central atom?
usually least electronegative BUT hydrogen is NEVER the centre
notes about lewis structures
- distribute remaining electrons on OUTSIDE first to give an octet then work way inside
- and if central doesn't have octet... make that shit work somehow with double and triple and quad bonds
NOT actual charge, just a way to track electrons
For lewis structure electrons
- 1. All nonbinding electrons
- 2. Half of bonding electrons
basically bonds count as one and each free electron also counts as one
if more than one possible structure...
- 1. choose structure when sum of charge = charge on molecule
- 2. choose struture with small formal charges (0, +/- 1) not +/- 2, +/- 3 etc
- 3. choose structures when most EN atom has a negative formal charge
More than one way to draw a lewis structure that is correct
don't for get to add <---> thingy
Exceptions to the Octet Rule
- Incomplete Octet
- exception: H needs 2; B needs 6; Be needs 4
- Odd number of Valence
- ie Nitrogen
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview