- => Class
- Ther. Class.: bone resorption inhibitors
- Pharm. Class: selective estrogen receptor modulators
: Binds to estrogen receptors, producing estrogen-like effects on bone, resulting in reduced resorption of bone and decreased bone turnover.
Prevention of osteoporosis in patients at risk & Decreased risk of breast cancer.
=> Lab Levels:
- => Admin Precautions:
- -Safe Dose: 60 mg daily PO
- -Contraindicated: Hypersensitivity, History of Thromboembolic events.
- -SE's: Stroke, Thromboembolism, leg cramps, hot flashes
- -Assess: for bone mineral density with x-ray, serum, and urine bone turnover markers (bone-specific alkaline phosphatase, osteocalcin, and collagen breakdown products) before and periodically during therapy.
- -PT: Advise patient to discontinue smoking and alcohol consumption.Emphasize the importance of regular weight-bearing exercise.
- May cause ↑ apolipoprotein A-I and reduced serum total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol, fibrinogen, apolipoprotein B, and lipoprotein.-May cause ↑ hormone-binding globulin (sex steroid-binding globulin, thyroxine-binding globulin, corticosteroid-binding globulin) with ↑ total hormone concentrations.-May cause small ↓ in serum total calcium, inorganic phosphate, total protein, and albumin.-May also cause slight decrease in platelet count.