How do people get "auto-assigned" the Healthy Michigan Plan?
regarding the auto-assigned thing, most of Michigan Medicaid is managed through private health insurance companies and their managed care plans (HMOs). The steps for someone to enroll in Medicaid are:
1. apply for Michigan Medicaid (including Healthy Michigan Plan)
2. get approved and enrolled in whatever program you're eligible for (Healthy Moms Medicaid, Healthy Michigan, etc.)
3. Medicaid sends a blue & green MIHealth card, and an info packet including info on health insurance plans to pick
4. pick a plan and send in that info to get enrolled in a plan
5. the health insurance plan then sends a packet of info to the new patient, and asks them to pick a PCP
6. select the PCP and return that info to the health insurance plan
7. for Healthy Michigan Plan people, they must then complete a Health Risk Assessment, part of which must be completed by their PCP
8. for Healthy Michigan Plan people, they must go to their PCP within 60 days of picking their health insurance plan (step 4 above)if someone doesn't pick their plan within some certain amount of time (45 days? 3 months?), Medicaid will assign them to a plan in their county that has openings. Then follow steps #5 and beyond.