The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
adjective, (fonder, fondest)
- 1.Having a liking or affection for
- (usually followed by of):
- to be fond of animals.
- 2.Loving; affectionate:
- to give someone a fond look.
- 3.Excessively tender or overindulgent; doting:
- a fond parent.
- 4.Cherished with strong
- or unreasoning feeling:
- to nourish fond hopes of becoming president.
5.Archaic. foolish or silly.
6.Archaic. foolishly credulous or trusting.
- 1.A sudden, strong blast of wind.
- 2.A sudden rush or burst of
- water, fire, smoke, sound, etc.
3.An outburst of passionate feeling.
- verb (used without object)
- 4.To blow or rush in gusts.
- adjective, (portlier, portliest)
- 1.Rather heavy or fat; stout; corpulent.
(Suited = Apropiado)
- verb (used with object)
- 14.To make appropriate, adapt,
- or accommodate, as one thing to another:
- to suit the punishment to the crime.
- 15.To be appropriate or becoming to:
- Blue suits you very well.
- verb (used with object), whipped or whipt, whipping.
- 1.To beat with a strap, lash, rod,
- or the like, especially by way of punishment or chastisement; flog; thrash:
- Criminals used to be whipped for minor offenses.
- 2.To strike with quick, repeated strokes
- of something slender and flexible; lash:
- He impatiently whipped his leg with his riding crop.
- 3.To drive with lashes; urge or force on with,
- or as with, a lash, rod,etc.
4.To lash or castigate with words.
- 5.To unite, bring together, or bring into line:
- The sergeant was ordered to whip
- the troops into line.
6.Informal. to defeat or overcome:to whip the opposition; to whip a bad habit.
7.To hoist or haul by means of a whip.
It was not as though
- No era como si
- No fue como si
adjective (nimbler, nimblest)
- 1.Quick and light in movement;
- moving with ease; agile; active; rapid:
- nimble feet.
- 2.Quick to understand, think, devise, etc.:
- a nimble mind.
- 3.Cleverly contrived:
- a story with a nimble plot.
- 1.An act of wanton cruelty or violence;
- any gross violation of law ordecency.
- 2.Anything that strongly offends, insults,
- or affronts the feelings.
- 3.A powerful feeling of resentment or anger
- aroused by something perceived
- as an injury, insult, or injustice:
- Outrage seized the entire nation at
- the news of the attempted assassination.
verb (used with object)
- 1.To send (a liquid, fluid, or anything
- in loose particles) flowing orfalling,
- as from one container to another, or into,
- over, or on something: to pour a glass of milk;
- to pour water on a plant.
- 2.To emit or propel, especially continuously
- or rapidly:
- The hunter poured bullets
- into the moving object.
- 3.To produce or utter in or as in a
- stream or flood (often followed byout):
- to pour out one's troubles to a friend.
- verb (used with object),
- teased, teasing.
- 1.To irritate or provoke with persistent
- petty distractions, trifling raillery, or
- other annoyance, often in sport.
- 2.To pull apart or separate the adhering
- fibers of (wool or the like), asin combing
- or carding; comb or card, as wool; shred.
- 3.To ruffle (the hair) by holding it at the ends
- and combing toward the scalp so as
- to give body to a hairdo.
- 1.A prolonged, low, inarticulate sound
- uttered from or as if from physical
- or mental suffering.
- 2.Any similar sound:
- the moan of the wind.
3.Complaint or lamentation.