Nervous System Diseases
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- "many hardenings"
- degeneration of the insulating layer of nerve fibers
- loss of insulation allows "short circuiting"
- depending on where degeneration occurs, patients may suffer paralysis, senesory disturbances or blindness
Cerebrovascular accident (CVA)
- blood vessel in brain may burst causing internal bleeding
- clot may arise in brain blood vessel, or elsewhere and travel to get stuck in the brain, causing hypoxia in the brain
Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA)
- Ischemia-not quite enough blood
- short period of insufficient blood supply to the brain causes similar signs to Cerebrovascular accident (stroke)
- lasts less than 24 hours
- ppl with TIA are at increased risk of having a stroke
- occur at any age, seizures are more intense, longer lasting, recur with some frequency
- Loss of speech
- occurs due to Cerebrovascular accident (stroke) or traumatic brain injury to left side of the brain
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview