Nervous System Procedures
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- physician specializing in diseases of the brain, spinal cord and nerves
- does NOT perform surgery (neurosurgeon)
Lumbar (spinal) puncture or tap (LP)
- sampling CSF from lumbar portion of spine
- use for diagnostic purposes such as presence of bacteria in meningitis, special proteins in MS or blood cells
introducing a radioactive element into the blood can image possible tumors in the brain
- image of the brains electrical activity
- used to diagnoses seizure disorders, brain tumors and in sleep studies
Computed Tomography (CT)
- specialized X-ray that takes multiple images of the body from different angles and integrates images into "slices" of the body
- better than x-ray because of differentiation of types of tissue
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
- body is placed in a strong magnetic field
- radio pusles affect the resonance or "spin" of atoms in the tissues.
- shows subtle differences in tissue molecular structure producing high resolution and better differentiation of soft tissue
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview