The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Where does apparent DE come from?
exogenous sources only
What affects how long digestion takes?
amount of processing in grains
How much calcium and phosphorus are found in grains?
- high levels of phosphorus
- low levels of calcium
What are most feeds balanced for?
relationship between Fiber and DE?
How much crude fiber is found in complete feeds?
19% or higher
DE for maintenance:
.03 x BW
What do you consider when determining BCS?
What is the ideal BCS?
Where do you feel for fat when determining BCS?
What is regional adiposity?
- pockets of fat found on the horse with certain metabolic issues
- aren't taken into account during BCS
What causes an energy deficit?
- lack of sufficient feed
- GI tract won't hold feed
- unable to chew
- age-related GI tract changes
- feed refusal due to stress, illness, injury, etc
What causes an energy excess?
- too much feed
- not enough exercise