The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are 3 mentioned things that schizophrenia is not?
- A split personality
- Caused by childhood trauma, bad parenting, poverty
- The result of any action or personal failure by the individual
What are common myths about schizophrenia?
- Any person with it is incapable of making life Decisions and needs the help of a legal guardian
- People with it are violent
What are the treatments for schizophrenia?
- occupational therapy
- social skills therapy
What percentage of the population will develop schizophrenia during their lifetime? Who does it affect more commonly, men or women?
- 1% of the worlds population is the stable number
- it affects men and women equally; but appears earlier in men than in women
What races is schizophrenia seen in? How is the onset? What is the prognosis?
- Seen in every race and culture
- Onset can be sudden and intense.
- It can be successfully treated with drugs, but long term prognosis is poor