AS Biology Cell membrane experiment
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is the independent variable?
temperature of water
What is the dependent variable?
% transmission of light through resulting solution
What variable need to be controlled in the beetroot experiment? ( 5 marks)
- Volume of distilled water added to the beetroot
- Time left in water
- Size of beetroot piece
- Type of beetroot used
- Beetroot storage condition
Describe the experiment for the how temperature effects beetroot permeability and the correlation seen? ( 7 marks)
- Cut 5 equal pieces of beetroot using a cork borer and knife.
- Place the beetroot into distilled water overnight to remove any dye released in preparation.
- Wash and blot dry the beetroot.
- Place 5cm3 distilled water into 5 boiling tube and place each boiling tube into different water baths which should be set at different temperatures.
- Once the water at the desired temperature add beetroot to each of the boiling tube and leave it for 30 minutes.
- Remove the beetroot and shake the tube to disperse the dye.
- Use a colorimeter to measure the intensity of dye.
- The higher the absorbance the more pigment released and so the higher the permeability of the membrane.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview