The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Gas exchange mechanisms
- oxygen taken in, carbon dioxide and metabolic wastes elimated.
- Respiratory system connects deep cells to outside environment.
- simplest gas exchange mechanism.
- Random molecule movement from area of high concentration to low.
- air into body - makes gas exchange at tissues possible.
- Blood carries gases and metabolic waste processes for exchange.
pumping blood through an organ.
Movement of respiratory organs through water
- -energetically costly.
- Water advantage - more buoyancy to support delicate structures.
- Gas partial pressures differ in water and air.
- Unidirectional movement in fishes - air passes across gill curtain and exits.
- May be continuous.