Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
You are the W/C at a patrolstation when you receive a call stating there are reports of gunshots at a
local high school. It is 1445 hours andparents are in the midst of picking their kids up from school. There appears to be more than one
shooter. What are your actions?
- PRE-EVENT PLANNING
- $ This scenario was highlighted by the April 20, 1998
- Columbine incident. This was not the
- first incident, but what was learned from a law enforcement perspective was
- very important.
- $ The best way to respond to a situation such as this lies in
- the pre-planning and training for such scenarios.
- $ I will ensure that all personnel are adequately trained in
- FOD 99-02.
- $ I will ensure that all school safety plans are in order,
- up-to-date, and in each radio car.
- $ I will ensure that collaborative training occurs between
- school personnel, Department personnel, and fire at least once per year.
- $ Ensure my personnel attend LTD’s Tactical Development
- Program (Mobile Shooting Solutions Trailers)
- $ The goals of pre-planning are to minimize injuries, deaths,
- and to be aware of our risk management issues while adhering to our Core
HANDLING THE PROBLEM
$ Ascertain as much information
as I can from the call, school personnel, and aero up above the school.
$ Immediately send a response field force of at least 5 radio cars and a sergeant depending on the information that I obtained
. This team will be utilized to act as the Rapid Deployment Team.
- $ This team will employ and lay the foundation of the 7 C’s (Command, Control, Contain, Communicate, Coordinate, Continency,
$ Is the problem Static (non-dymanic) or Dynamic?
If Static, handle as Barricaded Suspect (Contain and call SEB). If Dynamic, use RDT to minimize problem until SEB or more reinforcement arrives.
- $ The team will be the initial contact of the problem, rescue
- if safe to do so, and shield the team.
$ Set up an AR-15 deputy
if feasible at an adequate distance.
$ Set up inner/outer containment.
$ Request other LASD station personnel
, other city departments, & CHP.
- $ Set up a command post that is large enough to accommodate a separate staging area for Fire/Paramedics, Triage, Department Incident
- Commander, parents, students, and media (morgue if needed).
$ Notify local hospitals.
Have enough ambulances ready for immediate response.
$ Major Incident Log.
$ Request two tactical frequencies
(tactical and command).
$ Depending on the situation, delegate the W/S to handle the station command (I’m still responsible) and activate the station Sub-EOC. I will respond to the Command Post and act as the Incident Commander.
$ Gather suspect information
. How many suspects? Photos? Reason? Have DB get suspect work up and search warrants if necessary.
$ How many students and faculty are held up
(If so, call Arson to respond Code-3).
- $ Evacuations and Traffic Control. (Request school buses for transport to
- Command Post).
$ If deputy’s shot, have sergeant respond to hospital
to act as liaison b/t hospital, Department and media.
- $ Take action necessary to safely resolve the problem and minimize injury, adhering to the sanctity and reverence of human life and our
- Core Values (arrests, stop suspects, rescue hostages).
- $ U/C and SHB (Duty Commander, Chief, SEB, K-9, CNT, Aero,
- TEW, Homicide, IAB, EOB, Red Cross, Coroner, City Officials, ESS, and School
$ Use SHB Information Officer to handle the press.
- $ Investigate Crime Scene (ID Witnesses, medical attention, deputy shooters to station, ID
- deputy personnel who used force, etc.).
$ Documentation (49, After Action Report, Injury Reports, Overtime, Force Report, W/C log, Chief’s Memo)
$ De-brief (interagency) incident for future.
$ ID risk management issues and submit recommendations to U/C.
$ Ensure patrol checks/high visibility in the following weeks around school.
$ Town Hall Meeting if necessary.