Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Why do we AI?
- improve genetics
- disease control
- possibly increase fertility
- decrease breeding expenses
How long can horse semen be kept frozen?
What are some advantages of AI?
- genetic improvement
- rapid proof of sire
- availability of sires
- danger of stud removed
- disease reduction
- stud costs are reduced
What are some disadvantages of AI?
- estrus detection must be good
- need a trained inseminator
- some species semen is hard to use
- poor males use increases if not tested
- lab costs are high
Why were some people skeptical of AI?
- concerned foals would be weak or malformed
- concerned foals would be less intelligent
- afraid the sex ratio would be altered
- concerned about the spread of disease
- concerned about inbreeding
How are horses inseminated?
What factors can affect conception rate in AI?
- timing of insemination
- number of sperm inseminated
- fertility of males
- skills of inseminator
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview