Digestive system procedures/specialists
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- physician specializing in diseases of the rectum and anus
- proctology is a surgical subspecialty
Guaiac Test (hemoccult, fecult)
- special chemical test to identify blood in the stool
- may be indication of cancer and hemorrhoids
Upper GI series
- series of X-rays of he esophagus and stomach and small intestines have the patient swallow a "milkshake" of barium.
- Barium is opaque (blocks x-rays)
- procedure may be used to identify problems with swallowing, stomach ulcers, twisting of the small intestines
Lower GI series
- a series of X-rays using a barium enema to show the large intestine and rectum
- used to identify problems such as diverticulitis, diverticulosis and tumors
- use of flexible fiberoptic instrument attached to a video camera that can be used to directly visualize the esophagus, stomach and large bowel
- ex. colonoscopy
- procedure using high frequency sound waves to visualize internal organs.
- priimarily used to visualize abdominal and pelvic organs
- ex. pregnant uterus
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview