Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Why do we use embryo transfer?
- prevent interruption of mare's performance career
- get more than one offspring from a mare each year
- obtain foals from mares that aren't able to maintain pregnancy
- marketing of embryos
What kinds of embryo transfer are there:
disadvantages of ET:
- need a well trained technician
- usually can only get one embryo at a time
- sub-fertile mares are usually less productive
- aged mares have embryos that has less survivability for ET
What makes ET successful?
- donor condition
- recept selection
- donor preparation
- estrus synchronization
- ET technique
- management of recept
What is regimate?
a progesterone supplement
What stimulates ovulation?
What needs to be given to recept mare?
progesterone until accessory CLs develop or the fetus is producing enough to maintain pregnancy
characteristics for selecting a recept:
- similar in size or larger than donor
- age 3-10 ideal
- sound repro history
- good maternal characteristics
- 1. synchronize ovulation
- 2. breed donor mare (day of ovulation=day 0)
- 3. flush uterus between day 6-8
- 4. wash embryo and load into transfer instrument
- 5. place embryo in uterus of recept mare
for Estrus Synch:
- leutalise is a common prostaglandin
- usually given twice, 14 days apart
- must have a CL
- exogenous progesterone
- 10 day or 14 day schematic
- at end of schematic give Leutalise
- given to mares without ovaries
- helps get recept and donor to similar follicular development and ovulation
What can you do in order to skip the synching process?
using an Ovect mare progesterone about 2 days after the donor mare but you have to keep giving recept mare progesterone until day 150
How do you prep the donor for ET?
- day 7 after ovulation
- wrap tail
- clean out rectum
- remove from feed or use rectal suppressant
- scrub vulva
Embryo collection procedure:
- use Foley Catheter
- flush mare with 1 liter of collection media
- siphon each liter out through an embryo collection filter
- repeat flushing 3-4 times
- search contents of filter
How do you flush the filter?
- rinse with serum and search with a microscope
- do this as quickly as possible
How are embryos graded?
- according to viability
- zona pellucida
- no ruptures
- uniform blasphomeres and not disintegrating
- Grade 5 is worst
How do you mange a recept mare after ET?
- keep on a regimate supplement
- check to see if keeping pregnancy
- check for growth
How are embryos transported to mares in other places?
- similar to semen
- keep in media instead of extender
- embryo placed in tube instead of syringe or bag
- cooled in equitainer
- avg viability is 24 hours
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview