=>Plasma pH is an indicator of the concentration of H+ ions
-Increasesd H+ ions means ACID.
=>Normal arterial pH range is 7.35-7.45
- Higher pH (less H+) = alkalosis
- Lower pH (more H+) = acidosis
=>The metabolic processes constantly produce acids that must be either neutralized or excreted, there's three ways that this happens.
- ph is maintained by homeostatic mechanisms:
- Buffer systems: very fast
- Respiratory system: kicks in within mins to hours
- Renal system: kicks in within 2-3 days.
Acids: vinegar, stomach acid
Alkaline: baking soda, ammonia, draino