What are the differences between conformity, obedience and compliance?
- Conformity: change in behaviour to match the opinions of behaviour of others
- Obedience: change in behaviour due to a direct order from someone in a position of authority
- Compliance: change in behaviour due to direct pressure from others
- Different to conformity as it involves direct pressure, not just mimicry
- Similar to conformity as it can come from anyone
- Different from obedience as it can come from anyone and manifests in the form of pressure, not explicit demands
- Similar to obedience as it can also come from people in positions of power