Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Texas Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners
Equine Dental Provider Jurisprudence Exam
National Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners: Produces, administers, and scores the national exam
North American Veterinary Licensing Examination: Replaced national exam in 2000
Passing score for vets taking the NAVLE
Passing score for LVT taking VTNE
Passing score on state boards
What test was there before the NAVLE?
NBE (National Board Examination) and CCT (clinical competency test)
State Board Examination
Veterinary Technician National Examination
Licensed Veterinary Technician Jurisprudence Examination
Veterinary Technician Program definition
Program of education for vet techs accredited by AVMA
American Veterinary Medical Association
Can a criminal background check be done before issuing license?
Qualifications for a vet tech to be eligible for a license
- 1) 18 years old
- 2) Passed both national and state boards
- 3) Graduate of a vet tech program
- 4) Pass national before apply for state board exam
Qualifications for a vet to become eligible for a license
- 1) Age of majority
- 2) Passed national and state exams
- 3) Graduate of a school of vet medicine approved by board
If criteria is met for a vet to become licensed and the board denies the license, vet may petition decision and board will consider the following when deciding whether to grant petition...
- 1) Availability of the NAVLE
- 2) Number of years petitioner has been in practice
- 3) Petitioners license status and standing in other jurisdictions
- 4) Status in specialty
Qualifications for a EDP license
- 1) Passing score of 85 on EDPE
- 2) Certified by International Association of Equine Dentists or other approved entity
Do you have to pass the national exam before applying for the state board?
How often will the board schedule a jurisprudence exam for vets acquiring special licenses?
Once a year
Qualifications to apply for a special vet license
- 1) Age of majority
- 2) Graduate of vet school
- 3) Written affirmation of the Dean of school
- 4) Pass jurisprudence exam
Board may issue provisional license to...
A person seeking regular vet license in Texas, will not renew, reissue, or extend a provisional license
Qualifications to be issued a provisional vet license
- 1) Proof of current active license in another state or jurisdiction of US
- 2) Proof of passing national exam
- 3) Passing of 85% on state boards
- 4) Payment of application fee
- 5) Proof of graduation from vet school
- 6) Proof of vet experience
Qualifications for a temporary license issued by state governor in event of Texas disaster
- 1) Application for temporary licensing
- 2) Board verify licensed in states listed in application
- 3) File application with the Texas Department of Public Safety
- 4) Application and state board fees are waived
- Valid for 120 days or when disaster is over, which ever occurs first
Qualifications for a temporary vet license
- 1) Age of majority
- 2) Graduate of vet school
- 3) Passed national exam by at least 75%
- 4) Active license in good standing in another state
- 5) Not under final or current disciplinary ruling
- 6) Proof of minimum 17 hrs CE
Board will accept certified scores of the national exam issued by...
- 1) American association of veterinary state boards
- 2) Official reporting service for the NAVLE
When reapplying for the state board exam applicant must submit new application form and pay fee at least 45 days prior to date of exam if...
- 1) Didint show up to first attempt of the exam
- 2) Didnt pass first attempt
Board will refund fee for state board examination if
- 1) Provides notice no less than 14 days before exam that they will not be attending
- 2) Unable to take exam due to emergency
Who is responsible for signing all renewal certificates?
Executive director of the board
Who must complete the registration exemption certificate?
Vets claiming active military duty or retirees
Voluntary and permanent conclusion of a vet licensee's practice of vet medicine
If a first time retired vet wants reinstatement within the same year they retired they must..
- 1) Pay annual fee plus $25
- 2) If completed 17 hrs of annual CE then no further CE
- If not completed 17 hrs annual then must complete 34 hrs within 12 months of being reinstated
If retired vet wants reinstatement and its been longer than one yr since they retired then they must...
- 1) Petition board in writing and complete exam for reinstatement application with fees
- 2) May have to take national exam before taking state board
When does the executive director send out delinquent letters?
March 10th of each year
What must a vet wanting to be reinstated send to the board?
- 1) Application
- 2) Current photo
When do license for vet, LVT, and LEDP expire?
March 1 of each year
If a LEDP or a LVT let their license be expired for more than a year must they take the state board exam again?
Can a license be suspended if they default on a student loan or child support?
Yes until paid or payment plan in place
Can a vet express opinion or judgement on another licensee?
Who can a vet report another vets corrupt behavior to?
State board of veterinary medical examiners
Vet must avoid corruption of others...
A vet knows something bad about another vet and doesn't come forward with the information
Can a vet form a partnership of veterinary medicine with someone who is not a member of the vet profession?
Licencee who's license has been suspended or revoked must report it to the board within how many days?
Can a vet licensed in different state consult on a case here in Texas?
Can a vet license in a different state make routine visits here in Texas?
Vet can delegate vet care to non vet employees such as...
- 1) LEDP
- 2) Animal chiropractic
Can euthanasia be performed by a non-veterinarian?
Yes only under immediate supervision
Can a non-veterinarian administer a rabies vaccine?
Yes under direct supervision and only if their is a current vet-client-patient relationship
After determining the nature of an emergency can a vet issue treatment instructions without being present?
Yes to prevent death or suffering of the patient
Alternative therapies definition
Therapeutic application by use of hands or any mechanical device to treat and/or alleviate impaired or altered function of the musculoskeletal system
Animal chiropractic and MSM performed by a licensed vet must..
- 1) Has a valid V-C-P-R
- 2) Exam done
- 3) Obtains signed statement from owner saying this is an alternative therapy
Who can perform alternative therapies?
- 1) Licensed vet
- 2) Non- licensed employee- under direct/general
- 3) Independent contractor- under direct/general
Mechanical radiant energy with a frequency greater than 20 kilocycles per second.
Part of the science of acoustics dealing with the frequency range beyond the upper limit of perception by the human ear, but usually restricted to frequencies above 500 kilocycles per second
Ultrasonic radiation definition
Effect of ultrasound which is injurious to tissues because of its thermal effects when absorbed by living matter
Ultrasound therapy definition
Controlled doses of ultrasound used therapeutically to selectively break down pathologic tissues, as in treatment of arthritis and lesions of the nervous system.
Diagnostic ultrasound definition
Ultrasound images used as a diagnostic aid by visually displaying echoes received from irradiated tissues
Visualization of deep structures of the body by recording the reflections of pulses of ultrasonic waves directed into the tissues
Ultrasounds used for diagnostic purposes must be done by a vet or employee under general supervision and meet which requirements..
- 1) Vet must have ordered ultrasound
- 2) Must have V-C-P-R
- 3) Vet makes the diagnosis
Non vet can perform ultrasound for therapeutic purposes if...
- 1) Vet has V-C-P-R
- 2) Vet has made a diagnosis
- 3) Vet has ordered ultrasound as treatment
- 4) Must only be done at vets request
Insertion of an acupuncture needle and the application of moxibustion to specific areas of animal's body to relieve the discomfort associated with painful disorders, to induce surgical anesthesia, and for therapeutic purposes
Who can perform acupuncture?
To perform acupuncture, holistic medicine or homeopathy what must be established
- 1) Valid V-C-P-R
- 2) Physical exam
- 3) Release form signed by owner
Who can perform holistic medicine?
Holistic medicine definition
Practice of veterinary medicine that believes in a blend of alternative and/or conventional approaches of treatment in an effort to develop a system of complementary medicine to treat the patient
Examples of holistic medicine..
- 1) Herbal medicine
- 2) Acupuncture
- 3) Chiropractic
- 4) Homeopathy
System of therapeutics in which diseases are treated by substances which are capable of producing in healthy animals symptoms like those of the disease to be treated, the substance being administered in minute doses
Can a LVT under direct or immediate supervision extract teeth without use of an elevator
LEDP under general supervision and a non vet employee under direct supervision may...
- 1) Remove sharp enamel projections
- 2) Remove small overgrowths
- 3) Filing
- 4) Reducing incisors
- 5) Extract loose teeth
- 6) Remove calculus
- 7) Remove non wolf teeth
Vet can discontinue treatment if...
- 1) At clients request
- 2) After the completion of treatment/diagnosis
- 3) Referral to another vet
- 4) Notice to client providing reasonable period of time for client to secure other services
If care of patient is beyond vets capabilities what must vet do
What has to be done before issuing health certificate?
Current exam of patient done by the vet
Vet can only reveal client/patient info if...
- 1) Written/oral authorization waiver by client
- 2) Court ordered or subpoena
- 3) As necessary to obtain debt for services
Acceptable forms to display boards information in the clinic
- 1) Written notice form in area frequented by clients
- 2) Brochure in frequented area
- 3) Statement on clients bill
Vet can advertise only...
Can vet list or advertise fields of medical specialties?
Only if they are board certified in that specialty
Does vet have to display license in clinic?
Can an equine chiropractor hand out their clinics business card to gain referrals?
Medication labels must include..
- 1) Vet name, address, and telephone number
- 2) Date of dispensing
- 3) Species of animal
- 4) Name, strength and quantity of drug
- 5) Directions for use
- 6) Cautionary statements
- 7) Clients address and name
Scheduled drugs in training or racing animals may only be dispensed for...
Medical purposes, not for enhancing purposes
In Texas a vet must be regulated with who to dispense controlled substance drugs?
DEA and DPS
Person not registered by DEA can dispense controlled substance drugs if..
- 1) Registered vet gives supervises or employs a person
- 2) Vet has knowledge of person dispensing drugs
- 3) Vet has given written permission for person to dispense under their license
- 4) Person is registered with DPS and vet has knowledge of this
Controlled substances must be kept where..
Behind double locked door along with the drug log book
Labeling requirements for compounded drugs
- 1) Date which drug was compounded
- 2) Name and strength of active ingredients
- 3) Identity of treated animals
- 4) Withdrawl/withholding times if necessary
- 5) Condition/disease being treated
- 6) Date dispensed
- 7) Expiration date
Vet cannot compound or order a drug compound if...
Their is a FDA approved animal med or human med that will treat patient
Can a vet sell or promote a compound drug that is similar to a FDA approved drug?
With food animals a compound drug must be withdrawn when...
In enough time to ensure safety for human consumption
Extra label use or off label use means...
- 1) Compounded drugs
- 2) Use in species not on label
- 3) Use for disease/condition not on label
- 4) Use at dosages, frequencies or routes of administration not on label
- 5) Deviation from withdraw time
Records on controlled substances usage must be kept for how long
Controlled substance records must include the name of the drug as well as...
- 1) Date of acquisition
- 2) Quantity purchased
- 3) Date administered
- 4) Quantity dispensed
- 5) Name of client/patient receiving drugs
- 6) Total balance on hand of drug
Rabies certificate must contain...
- 1) Owners name, address, telephone number
- 2) Animal identification (sex, age, weight, breed, color)
- 3) Vaccines product name, manufacturer, and serial number
- 4) Date vaccinated
- 5) Expiration date of vaccine
- 6) Rabies tag number
- 7) Vets signature
How long must vet keep copy of rabies certificate?
If vet has knowledge on animal bite to a human they must report it to who
Local health authority
Vet who retires must bring all rabies certificates within the last 5 years to who?
Local health authority
When to gives rabies vaccine?
16 weeks old then a booster within 12 months then every 3 years after that. If booster is missed then patient has to get booster shot and come back within 12 months to get another then every 3 years after
Vets patient record keeping must include...
- 1) Name, address, telephone number of client
- 2) Identification of patient
- 3) Patient history
- 4) Dates of visits
- 5) Immunization records
- 6) Weight
- 7) Temperature
- 8) Lab analysis
- 9) Diagnostic images
- 10) Differential diagnosis/treatments
- 11) Name, dosages, concentration and routes of administration of any drugs
- 12) Any signed waivers
- 13) Identification of vet who performed any above actions
- 14) Date and substance of any referrals
- 15) Date/substance of any consultation with specialists
- 16) Copies of any health documents
How long must vet obtain clients records?
Can a client have vets patient records?
Copy not the original
Can a vet charge a client for patients records?
Yes but a reasonable amount
If vet resolves a practice and doesnt sell to another vet who do the records then belong to?
EDP records must include
- 1) Name, address, telephone of client
- 2) Identification of patient
- 3) Patient history
- 4) Dates of visits
If a client request copies of patient records how long does vet have to prepare copies?
If a client owes a vet money must the vet still hand over copies of patient records?
If vet is closing their practice they must notify clients by...
- 1) Placing written notice in office
- 2) Sending written notification to clients seen in the last 3 years
Can a vet render emergency care or first aid to a human if no compensation is expected?
If obtained more CE hours (up to 10 extra) then needed can they be carried over to only the next year?
How long must CE certificates be kept
If convicted of a crime how long do u have to tell the board?
Temporary limited service must inform state board and follow these rules...
- 1) Maintain sanitary conditions
- 2) Injections with sterile disposable needle/syringe
- 3) Use a non porous table
- 4) Maintain biologics and injectable meds in temp rang 35-45 F
- 5) Blood/fecal exams before dispensing meds
- 6) Maintain rabies vacc records for 5 yrs
- 7) Provide client with printed form that contains identify of vet and address where records are kept
What is a legend drug?
If board sends you mail or anything how long do you have to respond to the board?
21 days with a certified letter
What must any animal adopted from a shelter have done?
Must be spayed/neutered or owner must sign form saying they will have the procedure done
Log book for controlled drugs in other states must be kept for how many years?
Reprimands from the board will include..
- 1) May be formal or informal
- 2) Written order of the board
- 3) Have public info
What will happen if a vet or EDP is practicing without a license?
Cease and desist from the state board
Examples of misdemeanors and felonies that board will punish you for
- 1) Murder
- 2) Animal cruelty
- 3) Robbery
- 4) Assault
- 5) Child abuse
LVT annual license fee
When must annual fee be payed?
March 1st of every year
Serum, vaccine, antitoxin, or antigen used in the prevention or treatment of disease
Invasive dentistry or invasive dental procedures definition
Exposing of the dental pulp, or performing extractions
American association of vet state boards
What is the fine for someone practicing vet med without a license?
Cease and desist letter sent, $1000 per day until they stop
When must license renewal fee be paid each year?
By march 1st
Top 3 winners of the Kentucky derby
- American pharoah
- Firing line