What are the factors that moderate the influence of situational cues on thought and behaviour?
- Some people are more self conscious than others
- Ones preparation to interact (Cesario et al, 2009): people primed with anti gay sentiment showed more signs of aggression and those primed with pro elderly themes walked more slowly and acted like them
- The salience of the prime, something more relevant to everyday life and survival advantage would be more likely to unconsciously prime behaviour
- Competing goals
- Being aware of the prime drastically reduces its effectiveness
- Environmental constraints (physically can't act a certain way)