Lecture 19 Respiratory System Intro
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Primary Functions of Respiratory System (4)
1) Exchange gases between blood and atmosphere
2) Regulation of pH ---> CO2 exchange
3) Protection from inhaled pathogens
Pathway of airflow
- *Nasal / Oral cavity
- * Larynx/ vocal cords
- *R and L Bronchus
- *22 different Bronchii
- *Bronchioles, REspiratory beonchioles
- *Bones/ Muscles/ Thorax
- *Pleural Sac
Thoracic Cage Punctured
*Pleural space ecquilibraates with Atmospheric Pressure.
*Negaative Pressure cant be attained.
* Lungs Collapse
Type 1 Alveolar
* Reduce diffusion distance
Type 2 Alveolar
* Secrete surfactant, to prevent alveolar sac from collapsing.
*Soap like lipo protein produced by typ 2 alveolar cells.
*Make easier for alveoli to expand
How is surfactant production affected?
NRDS- Occurs in premature babies, surfactant defficiency leads to lungs collapsing.
*Chemical damage reduces production
* Pneumonia countereffects surfactant.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview