The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
attempt to classify consumers in terms of psychological variables such as personality, values and lifestyles
Aspects typically considered in psychographics include:
- Personality traits and the concept of self
- Values systems
- Attitudes toward experiences and brands
- Lifestyles - acitvites, interests and opinions
What is the use of psychographics in tourism?
Predicting how tourist and leisure participants will behave
What is the objective of psychographics
to assess consumers' lifestyles so that meaningful conxumer typoligies can be identified
How can psychographics increase the effectiveness of marketing?
- targeting the approprate audience
- focusing hte message on their needs
- sleecting the appropriate media
Personality: Freudian theory
personality stems from conflict between the desire to satisfy physical needs and the necessity to function as a responsible member of society
Freudian theory personalities
- Id - immediate gratification (pleasure) - primitave
- Superego - social moral and ethical inhibitions (conscience)
- Ego - mediates between id and superego - considers consequences
How is freudian theory useful to marketers?
- appeal to Id - ads emphasisng the pleasure and self indulgent aspects of product or service offerings
- appeal to superego - emphasising social amenities, ehtics, tradition
- appeal to ego - free offers as well as employing leisure, freedom, escape, and fantasy appeals ("its ok to take some time off, you deserve it")
Traits theorys' 5 personality traits:
- Extroversion - outisde oriented (interraction with others)
- Emotional stability - the degree of consitency/inconsistency (aka neurotocism)
- Agreeableness - being friendly rahter than reserved
- Consientiousness - being dependable and commited, taking intiative
- Openness to experience - new ideas and change