Gender in Sentencing
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
evidence of lenient sentencing
women treated more leniently in the CJS
- 15% of men trialled received custodial sentence
- 7% of women trialled received custodial sentences
- high prop of women recieved 3/4 months
- but men more likely to receive 2-4 years or more
difference in nature of offending?
difference in nature of offending
Farrington and Morris (1983) found that men recieved more severe sentences as they committed more serious offences
but leniency continues despite the nature of offence!
- Dowds and Hedderman (1997)
- stereotypically female/petty offence
- women more likely to be discharged or given a probation order
- less likely to be charged/given custody
- stereotypically male
- Dowds and Hedddermen (1997) found that for first time offenders sentences were similar
- repeat - women less likely to be given a custodial sentence
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview