Media and CJS
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
The Structural Transformation of the Public Sphere
- Habermas (1962)
- "refeudalisation of the public sphere"
- news media has shifted from being used for democratic engagement to entertainment
- a structural shift from for opposing state power to a docile public
- Media is a site for manipulation by corporate interests
- capitalist driven, manipulative machine
Fear in society
- Altheid (1997)
- fear in society is produced through the interaction between media and entertainment formats
- stories constructed to be "universal and specific, abstract and real"
- stories framed usnig entertaining devices
- emphasises a sense of disorder
Construction of Crime News - def
- Jewkes (2011)
- "a version of reality that is culturally determined by production processes of news organisations and assumptions of media of their audience"
- agenda setting
Construction of crime - news values
- value judgement that journalists and editors make about the public appeal of a story
- public interest
- news value shape output
How is crime presented in the news?
- Reiner 2007
- violent crimes: murder, sexual, interpersonal
- seem random, imminent, evokes strong sense of fear
- victims - women or children, "the ideal victim" Christie 1986
- exeggeration of police cucess- legitimises
crime news overall
- is information rich but knowledge poor
- shows incidents and not patterns
Folk devils and moral panics def
- Cohen 1972
- "a self fulfilling spiral of deviancy amplification"
folk devils and moral panics
- Cohen 1972
- news values selectively portray crime in the media which amplifies public concern
- police focus on particular aspects of deviance
- more incidents recorded, pursued, reported
- high levels of fear
New Media landscape
- new forms of news consumption
- citizen journalist
- BUT news still received by vast majority of audience from traditional media organisations
impact of media
- creates new crimes, new fear of crimes
- responsible for enhanced deviancy amplification in moral panics
- encourages expression of automatic, reactionary, emotive, punitive sentiments
- challenges symbolic legitimacy of the police (Ferguson)
- capacity to challenge established narratives of CJ
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview