Role and Function of the Police
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Police as crime fighters - comparative study
- Bayley 2004
- comparative study shows policing around the world very similar - same work regardless of social circumstances
- majority of resources in patrolling - reactive work, responding to calls etc
- Thus, little time spent dealing with crime and if so, crime that has already been committed
- too many potential targets to be effective
- crimes are rare and tend to be committed stealthily
- Reiner 2010
- paramount as each case different
- law enforcement selective - prioritise
- police routinely under enforce the law
- use discretion to deal with incidents in "peace keeping ways"
are police crime fighters?
- not much time spent in law enforcement
- under enforce the law
- NOT primary agent of law enforcement! most social control is informal
Peace officers - "secret social service"
- Punch - maintaining order that already exists
- working alongside informal social controls
- outlines conflict between police culture
- exciting work vs social work
- "mutual antipathy" between police and social services
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview