Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- infleynces the way officers choose to respond
- made up of unwritten, informal rules
- different from "canteen culture"
- - racist and sexist attitudes shared by many ordinary workers within an organization
Key elements of police work
- SHOLNICK 1966
- potential of danger - uncertainty in human behaviour
- authority - represents state, legitimate use of force
- demands of efficiency - pressure to meet demande
- police property
- conservatism: encouraged by hierarchy, strong rules, military influences
- machismo - sexism, tough for women to be accepted
- racial prejudice
other aspect of police culture:
- Punch "Secret Social Service" - antipathy
- emphasis on "real police work" vs social work
- counter-cultural to want to do social work
- working personality can lead to discriminatory policing
- "mapping" categorising/looking for problems
- Van Maanen
- a stigmatised group
- consist of people that the public find problematic
- YBM - low status and powerless
- "police property" - maintain group to upkeep order
- gives legitimacy and justification to police response
"the asshole" but...
- culture reflects power structures of societies that are policed
- streotyping just enforces it
- "asshole" category derives from us
- it can change! cultures are fluid
- not determined by "rule books"
- wider social transformation needed
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview