new vocab 4
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
polite, respectful, or considerate in manner
- making a pretense of shyness or modesty that is intended to be alluring
- she treated him to a coy smile of invitation
A rut is a groove in the earth, like an indent caused by wheels. It's also a boring routine that can be hard to break. If you’re stuck in arut, you’ve been doing the same old thing for too long.
take off one's clothes
the sexual activity of conceiving and bearing offspring
- To beget means to generate something, usually children, and it can be used to refer to the role of either a mother or a father.
- make children
excessively or annoyingly talkative.
- a statement that is assumed to be true and from which a conclusion can be drawn
- the basis of a theory
- (typically of a person) fall suddenly, clumsily, or headlong
- she pitched forward, tumbling down the remaining stairs
cut off the limbs of (a person or animal).
obtain (something), especially with care or effort.
- 1. daydream
- 2. the condition of being lost in thought.
- sad and depressed; dispirited.
- he stood in the street looking dejected
tear or be torn violently
an official inspection of an individual's or organization's accounts, typically by an independent body.
a stupid or careless mistake
tenth - rate
the lowest character or quality
Something savory is full of flavor, delicious and tasty
Call something unsavory if it's unappetizing, tasteless, or morally offensive.
Alas is another way to emphatically say “unfortunately.”
- a fungus that produces a superficial (usually white) growth on organic matter
- плесен, мана
Alfresco means outdoors. You can call your casual backyard picnic an alfresco dinner party to make it sound fancier.
Whether it’s an unsteady ship, a speeding bus, or a person who is woozy, use the verb careen to describe something that’s teetering from side to side.
- move unsteadily, with a rocking motion
a compensating equivalent; counterbalance
- use the hands clumsily while doing or handling something
- handle clumsily
belonging to a thing by its very nature
engage in a close fight or struggle without weapons; wrestle.
- a short story, typically with animals as characters, conveying a moral
- tale, parable, allegory
- 1. the freedom to decide what should be done in a particular situation
- 2. behaving or speaking in such a way as to avoid causing offense or revealing private information
- impossible to reconcile
- incompatible, at odds, at variance, conflicting
get down on feet and begging for something
abstaining from extramarital, or from all, sexual intercourse; virgin
- a remote or indirect consequence of some action
- reverberation, consequence, effect, upshot
to steal something, typically of small value
- When you mangle something, you completely destroy it, by ripping, cutting, crushing, or otherwise mauling it into pieces.
- mutilate, damage
- 1. to come to rest, settle
- 2. lighted up by or as by fire or flame
- to curse
- express strong disapproval of, deplore
breathe noisily, as when one is exhausted
into parts or pieces, apart
a hole in the ground made by excavating
- an informal form of address for a man, dude, fellow
- Hey buster, what's up?
- lie obliquely
- slope or lean in a particular direction
An imp is a trouble maker
- precipitate as a mixture of rain and snow
- If the temperature rises above freezing, it will probably sleet
- lacking in liveliness or charm or surprise
- gloomy, grim
- close friend
- associate, companion, fellow
- specify as a condition or requirement in a contract or agreement
- condition, specify
- The contract stipulates the dates of the payments
- a deep or seemingly bottomless chasm
- chasm, gorge, ravine, canyon, fissure
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview