Race and Ethnicity
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- Social construction
- arbitrary as it as a social category rather than scientific
18th C classifications
- described people on physical appearance
- obsession with trying to classify 'natural kinds/
- saw race as a kind of species
Boas - Anthropological critique on case
- refuted pop ideas of race
- rejected 18th C classifications
- refuted RETZIUS's 'cephalic index' - a racial classification bases on skull measurements
- showed head size changed according to diet and enviroment
Boas on natural kinds
- races are not 'natural kinds'
- arbitrary classifications
- variability occurs within groups
- argued that bodily types dont determine thought so no natural hierarchy
- all people have same bio capacities for culture
- geo/social environments determines individual characteristics
Cavalli-Sforza on scientific basis of race
- humanity is to young to develop into specieis
- the most physical genetic variation is within groups rather than between them
- = no scientific basis for racial classification
the concept of race is more to do with social meaning than physical difference
AAA statement on race
- a social mechanism or a mode of classification tat developed into an idealogy
- that magnifies difference between EA/Africans/Asians (result of colonial America)
AAA "world view" of race
- race evolved as "world view" that distorts ideas about human difference
- = todays inequalities between racial groups are not bio inheritance
- but products of historical, political and social circumstances
Montagu "The Concept of Race"
- argues for the use of ethnicity as a theoretical type rather than a bio feature
- "race" is used too ambiguosly and used to describe genetic difference - emotionally muddled
Montagu - benefits of "ethnicty"
- heuristic value
- open ended
- intentuonally vague
Montagu - critique
- is change possible just by switching names?
- ethnicity can be used in the same way to essentialise grouos
- HOWEVER ethnicity is not a substitute for raxe
- implies a fundamental difference in viewpoint
Racial/Spacial Order in Ecuador
- colonial racial hierarchy based on skin colour
- black Miss Ecuador challenging racial/spacial order
- outcry, did little
Race used practically?
- drugs designed to target specific groups based on race/ethnicity
- sickle cell anaemia
- BUT diseases rarely exclusive
- social conditions more often cause of health
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview