Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
the shaping of purchasing decisions by an evaluation of the moral attributes of an object
- purchasing products that minimise social/enviromental damage
- "conscientious consumption"
Carrier - CONSUMPTION def
"the meaningful use people make of the objects around them"
consumption and personhood
- possessive individualism
- produces a human being that is made up of objects
- clearest way to express our moral choices
- through "dollar voting" - either positive buying or moral boycott
- eg organic produce, a vote for environmental sustainabuility
Critiques of EC
- ability to affect structural change is limited
- affordability - uneven distribution of wealth prevents consumerism (ethical or otherwise)
- expensive green products - 'bourgois bohemians'
- displace responsibility from governments and corporations to individuals
- fetishisation - info limited regarding background/outcomes of purchase
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview