Daedalus and Icarus
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Daedalus interea Creten longumque perosus
- Meanwhile, Daedalus hating Crete and his long exile and touched by a
- Daedalus: nom s - subject
- Creten: acc s - d.o.
exilium tactusque loci natalis amore
- love for(of) his birthplace, had been
- exilium: acc s - d.o.
- tactusque: ppp - nom m (Daedalus)
- loci natalis: gen s - objective
- amore: abl s - means
clausus erat pelago. 'terras licet' inquit 'et undas
- closed (shut in) by the sea. He said, "although he may shut off the lands and the sea
- pelago: abl s - means
- terras: acc pl - d.o.
- undas: acc pl - d.o. - metonomy
obstruat: et caelum certe patet; ibimus illac:
- certainly, the sky is open; we will go that way:
- obstruat: pres. subj. - licet
- caelum: nom s - subject
omnia possideat, non possidet aera Minos.'
- though he may hold all things, Minos does not hold the air
- omnia: acc pl - d.o.
- possideat: pres. subj. - licet
- Minos: nom s - subject
dixit et ignotas animum dimittit in artes
- He said (this) and he put his mind to unknown skills
- ignotas artes: acc pl - place to which
- animum: acc s - d.o.
naturamque novat. nam ponit in ordine pennas
- and he renews nature. For he places feathers in order
- naturamque: acc s - d.o.
- in ordine: abl s - place where/manner
- pennas: acc pl - d.o.
a minima coeptas, longam breviore sequenti,
- beginning from the smallest with the shorter following the long
- minima: abl s - place from which
- longam: acc s - d.o.
- sequenti: pres part - abl s - manner
ut clivo crevisse putes: sic rustica quondam
- so that you might suppose they had grown on a slope: in the same way once
- clivo: abl s - place where
- crevisse: perf inf - ind. st.
- putes: pres subj - purpose/result
fistula disparibus paulatim surgit avenis;
- a Pan's pip with its unequal reeds rose little by little;
- fistula: nom s - subject
tum lino medias et ceris alligat imas
- then he fastens the middle and the (lower ends) bottom with thread and wax
- medias: acc pl - d.o.
- imas: acc pl - d.o.
atque ita conpositas parvo curvamine flectit,
- and he bends (them) so arranged with a small (slight) curve
- conpositas: ppp - acc pl
- parvo curvamiine: abl s - manner
ut veras imitetur aves. puer Icarus una
- so that they imitate true birds (wings). The boy Icarus was standing nearby
- veras aves: acc pl - d.o.
- imitetur: pres pass subj - purpose
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview