Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Halogens: At room temperature which is a pale yellow gas?
Halogens: At room temperature which is a green gas?
Halogens: At room temperature which is a red-brown liquid?
Halogens: At room temperature which is a grey solid?
Halogens: Which vaporises into a violet gas?
Water: What is scale and how is it formed?
- Scale is insoluble
- It is formed when water is heated
- It covers appliances
Water: What is scum and how is it formed?
- Scum is insoluble
- Formed when soap reacts with dissolved compounds in water
Water: What's the difference between permanent and temporary hard water?
Temporary hard water produces scale when it is boiled as the calcium and magnesium compounds form scale. It is softened by boiling.
Water: How can you soften both types of hard water?
- Method One:
- By precipitating out the ions.
- Method Two:
- Ion Exchange Column
Water: Boiling Temporary Hard Water...
Fill in the gaps:
2HCO3- (aq) → _____ (aq) + ___ (l) + CO2 (g)
2HCO3- (aq) → CO32- (aq) + H2O (l) + CO2 (g)
Water: Boiling Temporary Hard Water...Fill in the gaps:
_____ (aq) → CO32- (aq) + H2O (l) + ___ (g)
2HCO31-(aq) → CO32- (aq) + H2O + CO2 (g)
Water: Explain how to precipitate out the ions to remove harness.
- Add washing soda (sodium carbonate)
- Reacts with calcium and magnesium ionsThey form solid carbonates that can't react with soap
Water: Explain how an ion exchange column works.
- There is a resin containing sodium or hydrogen ionWhen the hard water passes through the resin, calcium and magnesium ions attach to the resin
- Sodium and hydrogen ions take their place in the water
Water: Why is silver found in water filters?
To kill bacteria
Energy Calculations: How do you find the energy transferred?
- Q=mcΔT Where...
- Q is the amount of energy J
- m is the mass of water gc is the specific heat capacity of water J/goC ΔT is the temperature change oC
Energy Calculations: What is the specific heat capacity of water?
What type of reaction is it when a fuel or food reacts with oxygen?
How many Joules are equal to one calorie?
Energy Calculations: How do you convert from Joules to kJ?
Energy Calculations: How do you convert from kJ/g to kJ/mol?
× kJ/g by the relative formula mass of the substance
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview