The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
having a proud and unbroken spirit, courage
The world or universe on a small scale.
The external appearance or manner of a person.
(of a person, animal, or their behavior) causing or showing a fondness for causing trouble in a playful way.
a person who behaves badly or in a way that breaks the law.
- a person who hoards wealth and spends as little money as possible
- pinchpenny, skinflint, money grubber,cheapskate, tightwad, piker
a stock or store of money or valued objects, typically one that is secret or carefully guarded.
- When an animal molts, it loses its feathers, fur, skin or maybe even outer skeleton. People don't molt, but plenty of animals do as a normal part of their life cycle.
- exuviate, moult, shed, slough
exaggerated or obsessive enthusiasm for or preoccupation with one thing
- (especially of humor) having or showing a sharp or critical quality; biting
- caustic, trenchant, biting, cutting, acerbic, sardonic
Having great diversity or variety.
the lowest point in the fortunes of a person or organization
having an extremely offensive smell.
- Though you try many medicines that claim to cure your cold, none of them work. They turn out to be nostrums, or ineffective drugs.
- Any scheme or recipe of a charlatan character.
of no value or importance
become noticeable in an unwelcome or intrusive way.
A feeling of extreme repugnance, or of dislike and disgust.
- harsh criticism or censure.
- vilification, abuse, vituperation, condemnation
Exclusion from intercourse or favor, as in society or politics.
To exclude from public or private favor.
The roof of the mouth.
- resembling a palace in being spacious and splendid
- To cause to appear less guilty.
- make (a disease or its symptoms) less severe or unpleasant without removing the cause.
- a public speech or published text in praise of someone or something
- A full set of armor.
- a complete or impressive collection of things
- extremely poor; poverty-stricken.
- Excessively sparing in the use of money.
A peregrination is a long journey or period of wandering.
- Precluding question or appeal.
- not open to appeal or challenge; final
spread throughout (something); pervade.
To pervade means to be present throughout, to exist in every part of. If you have too many cats, the horrible smell of cat pee will pervade your house
light and slightly contemptuous mockery or banter
- teasing and contemptuous language or behavior directed at a particular person or thing.
- sarcasm, contempt, scorn
the playful and friendly exchange of teasing remarks
Mental excitement or confusion.
having an unemotional and stolidly calm disposition
a person's facial features or expression
A written or spoken statement that is flat, dull, or commonplace
unqualified; absolute; entire; full or complete
- A weight suspended by a line to test the verticality of something.
knowing or using several languages.
be the strongest or main element; be greater in number or amount.
- A presage is a sign that something bad is about to happen
- portend, augur, foreshadow, foretell
the fact of knowing something before it takes place; foreknowledge
beyond what is normal or natural; extraordinary
widespread in a particular area at a particular time
- Stiffly proper.
- feeling or showing disapproval of anything regarded as improper.
- the quality of having strong moral principles; honesty and decency
- integrity, honesty, uprightness, decency
the action of delaying or postponing something
- impudent or irreverent, typically in an endearing or amusing way.
- a cheeky grin
- showing a lack of respect for people or things that are generally taken seriously
- she is irreverent about the whole business of politics
- disrespectful, disdainful, scornful, contemptuous, derisive
- If you are inquisitive that means you love to inquire; you’re always asking questions.
- Don’t become a private detective if you don’t have an inquisitive personality.
- 1. have a tendency or disposition to do or be something; be inclined
- 2. have care of or look after
- strengthen (a place) with defensive works so as to protect it against attack
- the whole town was heavily fortified
fasten or tighten (a shoe or garment) by tying its laces.
- a person who advocates a theory, proposal, or project
- advocate, champion, supporter, backer
A gizmo is a device used for a specific job. A vacuum is a gizmo that cleans the floor.
- to lie in a comfortable curved position
- shape one's body into a curl
Disagreeable sounds can be called dissonance. You know it's dissonance if you have the strong desire to cover your ears with your hands
(of food) extremely appetizing or delicious
Use the verb persevere when you want to persist in anything and continue despite difficulties or obstacles.
The verb forgo means to give up or lose the right to something
- existence or experience beyond the normal or physical level
- the possibility of spiritual transcendence in the modern world
- excellence, supremacy
the distance around a person's body
- extreme scarcity of food
- drought could result in famine throughout the region
- a concentrated artillery bombardment over a wide area.
- bombardment, cannonade
- Loathing is a feeling of complete disgust.
- Your loathing of the feeling of sand between your toes means that going to the beach isn't much fun for you.
- owing thanks or having a duty to someone in return for help or a service
- I don't like to be beholden to anybody
- a facial expression of dislike or displeasure
- Because you frown on smoking, you probably frown at smokers too!
the treatment and instruction received by a child from its parents throughout its childhood.
- to brag and boast and flaunt and go on and on about how great something is.
- show off
- make (something) appear unexpectedly or seemingly from nowhere as if by magic
- Anne conjured up a most delicious homemade stew
never ending or changing
A blaze is a bright, strong flame. A raging fire is blazing and you can also say other types of shining, like with talent, are types of blazing.
- Carnage is mass murder
- butchery, mass murder, massacre, slaughter
- destroying or killing a large part of the population
- destruction, devastation
- 1. a natural talent
- he has a flair for science
- 2. a shape that spreads outward
To subdue is to hold back, put down, or defeat. A Doberman can be subdued with a bone, but subduing a yapping toy poodle can be a mail carrier's greatest daily challenge.
- go up or climb
- she ascended the stairs
- the shape or structure of something, especially an animal
- Conformation has its base in the word conform, which means to follow the rules, or behave in such a way that you fit in, in a social or a spatial way
- a symmetrical arrangement of the parts of a thing
Use the adjective prenatal to describe something that happens prior to a baby's birth, like a special prenatal yoga class for pregnant women.
the branch of medicine dealing with childbirth and care of the mother
- someone's general attitude about life
- your usual mood
- 1. A crib is a bed with high sides that babies sleep in.
- 2. To crib is to cheat, like copying off someone else during an exam. How babyish!
Something extracurricular takes place in addition to your regular school or work duties. Being involved in extracurricular activities in high school — like sports or journalism — can help you get accepted to the college of your choice.
When water flows slowly in tiny drops, it drips. The movement of water in this way is called a drip.
- encourage or promote the development of (something, typically something regarded as good).
- the teacher's task is to foster learning
- promote the growth of; nurture
chew noisily; crunch
smile broadly, especially in an unrestrained manner and with the mouth open
- showing violent uncontrollable anger
- angry, furious, enraged
bark in a high-pitched tone; yelp
- one who can resolve a dispute, make a decision
- The divorce court judge will serve as the arbiter between the estranged husband and wife.
cause (someone) to be no longer close or affectionate to someone; alienate
- the process or act of resolving a dispute
- The employee sought official arbitration when he could not resolve a disagreement with his supervisor.
- to take without justification
- The king arrogated the right to order executions to himself exclusively.
- a remaining piece from an extinct culture or place
- The scientists spent all day searching the cave for artifacts from the ancient Mayan civilization
- to perceive, learn
- With a bit of research, the student ascertained that some plants can live for weeks without water